koper is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Error "Record is Deleted"

Recently our power went out and although the backend was on a UPS, I have a feeling that some user's computers crashed. I now cannot access one of my tables and any form that accesses it gives me the error "Record is Deleted". Soon after the crash I was able to access the table and saw that for one record the word "deleted" appeared in every field. SO I did a compact and repair but I still got the same error. When I tried to delete the actual field, it appeared to delete it but whenever I closed the database and reopened it I got the "Record Is Deleted" error when I tried to open a form using the table and the record with the fields saying "deleted' was still there.

Finally, I ran the JetComp utility. Now I can't even open the table with the problem. I get the same "Record Is Deleted" error when I try to open the table. Any suggestions short of restoring my backup from the previous day?

Kim

koper is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

I almost forgot

JetComp ran but returned an Error.

I am in the same bind. Overnight (and without a system crash) almost every query was greeted with "record is deleted." I ran compact and repair, but it did no good. I tried restoring an earlier version of the data but that is not the source of the problem. Apparently, the error is in the processing and not in the data itself.

I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting diagnostics/repair programs (accessrecoverytool.com, etc.) to recognize the database in order to work on the problem.

Can anyone help with this?

koper is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

No Solution

I couldn't solve this issue so I just restored my backup data.

Alas, we have NO backup data. The guy who administered the database has been gone from the company for months, and this has landed in my lap. I'm not an IT guy - I know enough to be able to work my way through a lot, but I'm not trained. The data was never backed up and I'm trying to find a way to eradicate the problem. Of course, considering that nobody got back to you in three months does not bode well for me. . .

thhui is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2002 (version 10.0)
    Try to import all tables, queries, forms, macros, vba modules to a new access file and
    see whether the same issues occur.

Import one by one, so that you could catch what is missing and what is the real problem.

Here's the new problem. I used software from a company called Cimaware that is supposed to recover/repair the database. The program generated a "fixed" file that looks nothing like what we are accustomed to using. I don't know if it's simply a case of improper formatting or if the database is still corrupted. Their service department is very slow to respond to inquiries and my company is stuck, waiting to get this thing fixed. I have no IT background. Does anyone know if there is an online tutorial anywhere for re-formatting the new database file, or for merging the new database with the old user interface?

thhui is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2002 (version 10.0)
    Sorry. I don't know anything about Cimaware.

The most likely solution if you really cannot recover any data from the corrupted access file is reload the previous backup and redo it once more.

So backup data is indispensible for any valuable data especially the database files!!!!

I got it fixed! Here's how. . .

I was able to fix the problem but wanted to post HOW, just in case someone else finds this thread and needs help.

A bunch of data used in my database was stored in another, separate database on another computer. This seems to be fairly common - it's referred to as the front-end and the back-end. I discovered this situation by opening the database, going to the Database Tools tab, then clicking on the Linked Table Manager. This showed all kinds of tables that are linked in from another location. You can tell by the small arrows to the left of each table, indicating that the tables were brought in from elsewhere. To the right of each name of each table it lists the path from which that table was accessed.

I followed the path and located the back-end database that was being accessed. I then ran Compact And Repair on that database. I closed it out and then opened our regular database. Voila! Everything is back to working again.

Lessons learned? 1. Document how to locate and fix things on this database, so that someone who isn't IT-trained can do it in a pinch. 2. Back up every stinking day.

Thanks for your help, all of you. I appreciate your efforts.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.