waldzinator is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Error: Can not update record; currently locked

Hello,

I have an Access 2002 database that is a split FE/BE application. All users are instructed (and I'm assuming they followed the instruction) to copy the FE to their desktops and paste (not shortcut). On the FE there is a data entry form (continuous form) where each of the users review information and code the case from a drop-down box. Clicking the drop-down box generates an after-update event that writes relevant case information (including a Now() function to indicate the date and time coded) to a performance tracking table.

Starting yesterday, a user received a "Can not update record; currently locked" error when they tried to code one of the cases. The data wrote through to the performance table fine, but the recordsource table for the form did not get updated with the coding. This kept happening until I checked the BE table to see who "owned" it via the .ldb file. Once they exited, everything went back to normal. This happened again today.

I'm puzzled. Users aren't workign the same cases, so it's not that they are coding the same case at the same time. I have the form properties set to No Locks and the Recordset Type set to Dynaset. There are approximately 2-4 users in at a time - and again, like I said, everybody only accesses their assigned cases. Any thoughts? I'm puzzled!

Jeremy

AlanBornat is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003

Same Problem!

I've had exactly the same problem, starting today!
    did you find a solution?

Windows XP Access 2003

Record-locking

It's funny that you messaged me about this today - I was literally just researching this issue last night due to an increase in the number of locking errors I received (we added users). I don't have a definitive answer yet, but I think I have a path.

I found this thread and the thread it links to in the second post VERY helpful. A bit technical, but I think my issue may relate to using DoCmd.RunSQL to track user-level performance.

Have a look, and good luck!
    http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/upd...d#entry2042737

AlanBornat is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    I have read that thread and it seems to be about record-level locking, which we already use (I think) - I have ticked 'open databases using record-level locking' and 'default record locking - no locks'

Someone else has suggested re-starting the server or looking for a .ldb file on your 'back-end' - have you tried that?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes. The .ldb will pop up any time someone is editing a record. That is just Access's functionality. Restarting the server will drop the .ldb, but it won't fix the larger problem: why was there a lock on a record? Could you describe a little more about what/how the db is being used? Can users potentially be editing the same record? Are you using bound forms, queries, SQL through VBA?

Without knowing these answers, it's hard to know where to start.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.