Rybal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Design Process - are Dynamic Forms possible?

This is my first post and I am still new to Access. I have just recently changed the way I was going to structure my database and, before really setting it up, I figured I'd see if what I wanted to do was possible. I either know how to do or find everything that I am wanting to do in the database except for one thing. Is it possible to create dynamic forms?

I'll give some explanation. I track various training for my organization and new requirements are added from time to time. I had been using an Excel spreadsheet to track everything, but it has been getting time consuming sending out notifications to individuals when they are due for annual or biennial training, so I wanted to use Access to help me automate it.

If I am the only one using it, or if I am simply present, I can manually add courses when needed and adjust the forms accordingly. However, I know that I won't always be present and I wanted to find a way that other users might modify course selections and have the forms (and additional tables and queries in the background) update. Basically, I want whoever is using it to only have to deal with the interface and not the background.

This is probably out of my league at this point and, since I expect to be in this job for at least a little while, I will probably just do the rest for now, but I was hoping to create a version before I left that would make it simple for others to take up where I left off.

One thing that I have thought of is to include fields on the individual pages that would be linked to fields/tables that do not currently have information in them, but would display once information was added. I am fairly sure that this could work, but would not really be ideal.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Welcome to the forum

I can manually add courses when needed and adjust the forms accordingly
    Just adding courses should not impact the design of the forms or the tables. The courses should be records in a table not fields of a table.

We'll need a little more detail about your application in order to help you out more effectively.

Rybal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I understand that they would be records and I would have that happen in the background (should be simple enough; they'd be additional records in the course information table), but I want the forms that future users will use to have any new courses as well, without being a series of Dropdown boxes.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    As new courses are added to the table, they should be available in a form bound to the table. You would not need to do anything to the form to make the new records visible. I guess I'm not really clear on what you are after.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.