ckali7 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

Field Data Collection (Form or stand alone software)

Folks,

1st. time poster here.....Thanks in advance for any help. I've inherited a db created in 2000 that we use to maintain fishery data collected by field crews in small and large boats. The db is complex and full of VB code much of which now has issues that we're working through. Our current goal is to simplify the db, it's full of automated tasks that no longer work. Right now, I'm focusing on how we log the data in the field then transfer it to the db. Currently there are two regions North & South, that have separate field crews collecting data on field tablets. The tablets have a dummy version of the larger db with forms for the field data entry. At the end of the day, crews bring these tablets back to the regional offices and export the data into a intermediary db. Finally data on the two regional db's is dumped into the primary db.....Confusing huh....I know we have several layers of issues, one of the main ones being networking issues.....I'm currently working on establishing VPN to the regional office so that each region can update the main db remotely. I'm also working on splitting the main db and will eventually distribute the FE to users in both regions if we can get VPN established.

For now, my main question is this: Is there a better way to log our field data than using a form and a dummy version of the db??? Does anyone know of a field data collection software that would let us export directly into our current access db??
    As I said, obviously we have multiple layers of issues, lets take them one at a time.

ckali7 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit
    Really......Geez, Thanks for all the help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.