bonbon68 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Question generating automatic numbers in a database

I'm a newby - I set up am RMA database and am trying to set it up so that it generates a new RMA number starting from a specific number - The rma numbers were paper generated in the past and am currently on number 27234 - need it to generate numbers automatically from this point forward, I would like to be able to do it when they click on the add record button on the form

the field is currently called RMA_NO and is set up as a text field - I started to doing it; setting up a numeric field called newrma. Now I am lost. I'm not familiar with programming so please bare with me. HELP!!??? someone pleeeeeese

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bonbon68 View Post
    I'm a newby - I set up am RMA database and am trying to set it up so that it generates a new RMA number starting from a specific number - The rma numbers were paper generated in the past and am currently on number 27234 - need it to generate numbers automatically from this point forward, I would like to be able to do it when they click on the add record button on the form

the field is currently called RMA_NO and is set up as a text field - I started to doing it; setting up a numeric field called newrma. Now I am lost. I'm not familiar with programming so please bare with me. HELP!!??? someone pleeeeeese
    A table can have a field type of 'autonumber'. It would normally start numbering at #1. But you can append in a similar record from a 2nd table that has the field defined as numeric, with just your starting number and it should then continue numbering from that point.

bonbon68 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

number generation

How would I do this?

KathyL is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bonbon68 View Post
    So I can have the field be autonumbered and copy the data into that field and it will automatically generate the next number from there? What if they are out of sequence right now? But I want it to automatically display the new number when I click the add record button also
    Yes, it will auto generate the next number from the number you append in. Access only controls the next number to generate. It could care less what previous values are in records in the table.

Yes, you can have previous records in the table, with gaps in the sequence (perhaps you deleted records).

Test it. Try it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.