pretzelz is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002

Question Testing Upsizing Wizard with FreeSQL.org?

Hi everyone.

I have a simple access 2002 database that needs after much reading, obviously needs to be upsized to SQL so that it can be accessed and modified over the net.

I don't know anything about SQL, but was hoping it would be a matter of taking my exisiting database, using the upscaling wizard in Access, and saving the newly created files onto a hosting service.

To test this, I found FreeSQL.org and registered a new account quickly. (I'm familiar with FTP, I should point out) Then went back to the upscaling wizard to enter the sql host details etc. At which point, I'm getting a connection error message. So could you please let me know if I'm enterting the data correctly?

"What SQL server would you like to use for this database?"
    www.freesql.org,3306 (is the port entered correctly? number as given on the site)

[ ] use trusted connection ??

loginID (as given during account sign up)
    passwordID (as given during account sign up)

Also, are there many more steps than just converting and uploading an SQL database to a subscription server? For example, will Access just create a front end that I can put on any local machine, and it will automatically connect with the centralised data stored on the SQL server?

Many thanks!

-- Have been using this tutorial to guide me so far.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    First I would not use the built in upsizing wizard built into Access. I would download the free SSMA for Access from Microsoft. Note: These tools are really best suited for Microsoft's SQL server not mySQL.

More important is that freesql.org is a developer's sandbox. It is for development and testing only. Not prof live produciton use.

From the freesql.org site:
    If your data is important and irreplaceable then you definitely should not be here

Note: specify a port like this: freesql.org:3306

pretzelz is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Thank you HiTech coach. I followed your advice and it seems I am unable to connect. Perhaps the test site is down, so I will try again later. And yes, I would just use the site to test, since this would be my first foray into SQL. Will also look at the software you recommended. Have a good week.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.