jhawk is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question Help with Search Fields

I need help creating a search field. What I'd like to create is a field that searches the same field in the table and if matches are found, allows the user to select and populate the field with that information.

I have created a data form allowing for entry into a co_individual table with subforms for a co_organization table and co_address table. When the user begins to type in the org_name field on the co_organization subform, I'd like the field to return a search of matched items from the org_name field so that the user can choose an org_name if one previously exists.

How would I go about this?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

161 is offline L33t N00b
    Windows 2K Access 2003
    I think I understand what you are saying, but I don't think you mean "search".

This is easily done by editing the type of field from a "text box" to a "combo box" or a "list box".

When you change to this type, right click the field and go to properties, then data. You can change the Row Source Type to either "Value List" or "Table/Query".

For "Value List" enter your values you want the user to have a selection of in the "Row Source" field. Like so:

"101";"102";"etc"

For "Table/Query", you may click the (...) on the right and define it, or the correct sequence is like so:

SELECT [Your Field Name] FROM (Your Table/Query Name)

You will find that it will try to auto-finish what you are typing. "Limit to List" should be set to "NO" under properties, (if you want them to be able to make new entries as well).

Note: If you have an large amount of entries that are repetative, they will ALL show in your drag-down menu if you use it. If this is a concern, you can open the properties window for the entire query (while in the query, right click the top window bar) and set the unique values field to "YES".

hope it helped

jhawk is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Smile

I went with the "Table/Query" recommendation and used a query to pull back the information. So far so good on the datasheet view side...will this work in a similar fashion once it's tied to a data entry form? I'm assuming so...

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I play with it some more, but it's a great start!

Thanks for the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.