bwest11 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Help with option group/check boxes?

I am trying to do something very specific with option groups/check boxes, but I cannot figure out how. What I have setup right now is an option group of three check boxes. Each check box corresponds to a numerical value, 1, 2, or 3. What I would like is that when one of the check boxes is checked, instead of a numerical value being designated to the field, for there to be a text string. For example: The three text box labels are Bananas, Apples, and Oranges. These are all linked to the field, "fruit". When bananas is checked, the number 1 is filled into the field fruit. Is it possible to make it fill the field with "banana" instead of 1?

Thanks!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    there is, but I forget how. you might check the properties of the option group. the change needed might be in there.

alternatively, you could join another table into the recordsource of the current form. the new table would be inner joined on the one you already have now for the source as a "many" table, and list your fruits and their corresponding numeric values.

Access_Blaster is offline User
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest11 View Post
    I am trying to do something very specific with option groups/check boxes, but I cannot figure out how. What I have setup right now is an option group of three check boxes. Each check box corresponds to a numerical value, 1, 2, or 3. What I would like is that when one of the check boxes is checked, instead of a numerical value being designated to the field, for there to be a text string. For example: The three text box labels are Bananas, Apples, and Oranges. These are all linked to the field, "fruit". When bananas is checked, the number 1 is filled into the field fruit. Is it possible to make it fill the field with "banana" instead of 1?

Thanks!
    "Select case" would help assign a value to your options see video.
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...iongroups.html

bwest11 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Access_Blaster View Post
    "Select case" would help assign a value to your options see video.
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/f...iongroups.html

Thank you, that was a great video. I do have a few more questions, that are related to each other. I have attached an image of what I'm asking to make it easier to explain. In this test form, I have 5 check boxes, 4 of which are an option group (Top I, Top II, Middle, Bottom).

My first question is, how can I make it so that if any one of those 4 check boxes is checked, the "Other" check boxes becomes unclickable? Or if I click the "Other" check box, those 4 become unclickable?

My second question is similar. How can I make it so that once the "Other" check box is clicked, the box to the right of it, which is a separate text box) becomes usable? e.g. how can I enable the text box, only under the condition that "other" is checked?

My third question is, with the option group check boxes, once one of them is selected, is there anyway to deselect it? The only option is to click another box in the group. I need to be able to make sure that if someone clicks on one of them accidentally, they can deselect it in case they actually need to click on the "Other" check box.

Thanks again!. That should be the end of my questions.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.