Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    redfox1160 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7

    Question Programming experience, but no access experience

    Hello,

    I want to make an access database for users at my office. Currently I have the databases set up, but I don't know how to make a GUI. I want to have buttons that will only display certain data from specific tables when clicked. I also want user's to be able to add, and/or change data, if they press a separate button. I have some experience programming in C# and Python, and thought it might come in handy when making this database. I am not certain what I should do to implement this, and my googling skills haven't really helped me thus far. Thanks for any help!

  2. #2
    redfox1160 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by redfox1160 View Post
    Hello,

    I want to make an access database for users at my office. Currently I have the databases set up, but I don't know how to make a GUI. I want to have buttons that will only display certain data from specific tables when clicked. I also want user's to be able to add, and/or change data, if they press a separate button. I have some experience programming in C# and Python, and thought it might come in handy when making this database. I am not certain what I should do to implement this, and my googling skills haven't really helped me thus far. Thanks for any help!
    Also, I have tried to look at the code/database for this database app (from these forums): https://www.accessforums.net/sample-...tion-7564.html
    but I don't know how to edit it. It just seems to open up as an application. Thanks again for any help

  3. #3
    ajetrumpet is offline Banned
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,694
    fox,

    C# and Python aren't going to help you much here. The syntax is completely different. That's like night and day. And actually, there are so many tools built into the 2010 version of access that you probably don't even need to do any programming. You have to start with the objects. Forms, etc...

    what do you know about those?

  4. #4
    redfox1160 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    fox,

    C# and Python aren't going to help you much here. The syntax is completely different. That's like night and day. And actually, there are so many tools built into the 2010 version of access that you probably don't even need to do any programming. You have to start with the objects. Forms, etc...

    what do you know about those?
    I don't know anything about them, I have no prior experience with Access... do you think I could do this knowing nothing about access? Where would you suggest I go to find out how to do this? Thanks again!

  5. #5
    redfox1160 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    7
    I figured out how to open the database located here: https://www.accessforums.net/sample-...tion-7564.html
    (Hold shift when opening)
    What language is the code written in? Is it visual basic?

  6. #6
    ajetrumpet is offline Banned
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,694
    I don't really know, fox. Access has always come natural to me, and that unfortunately makes me a terrible teacher. But I can tell you that I've seen beginners say anything from 1-10 on the ease of learning this program. Some say it's a piece of cake, and others come back and ask 50 questions if they have 50 tasks to do.

    In my eyes, this is not difficult, and would obviously take someone like me, or some of the other guys here, 20 minutes to do. But...the things you need to know about this program are: the objects, properties of those objects, and the interface menus and functions. If you know where to find and use those 3 things, chances are you won't even need to write code.

    I forget, is Python a server language? I remember it being very high level. You could probably understand Basic very easily because Python has a lot of similar concepts that use the same wording. C# however...NO.

  7. #7
    ajetrumpet is offline Banned
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,694
    Quote Originally Posted by redfox1160 View Post
    What language is the code written in? Is it visual basic?
    Actually, the program I believe is written in C, but the code that access can execute is VBA. That is not visual basic, but it's extremely similar. It's just a very small extension. The only differences between it and VB itself are the qualifiers and object oriented actions. Qualifiers are very different, only because all VBA programs sport different objects.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Fulltime Access Developer with Finance experience
    By tchandler in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 04:03 PM
  2. New to programming in MS access 2007...
    By DarrenReeder in forum Programming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 01:03 PM
  3. New to Access programming
    By pushpm in forum Programming
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 03:03 PM
  4. Programming Language like Access
    By cwf in forum Programming
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 03:02 AM
  5. Access Programming and Access Data Page
    By frmdread67 in forum Programming
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-19-2008, 03:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Other Forums: Microsoft Office Forums - Senior Forums