Taking an access database online

Hi there,

I am bit of a newbie to access. I know how to create databases, queries reports and form, but I am far from good.

I have a database that I would like to take on to the internet, so that it is possible to enter data into the database over the internet using a form and to also get reports over the internet.

How do you put an Access database online, so that it is possible to update it with an online form and get reports

I don't know much about servers and whether the computer I am using will need to have Access. I read somewhere that Access actually had a wizard to create a HTML Access page for you - is this true.

Thanks

Anthony,

Doing what you propose is not really possible: Access does not allow online versions of its forms.

Also, Access security is not proof against sophisticated attacks, so web-enabling Access is a Bad Idea.

I suggest that you use as your back-end a more secure, enterprise-class RDBMS such as SQL Server, Oracle, MSDE or MySQL. Oracle is pricey, of course, and SQL Server is not free. MSDE, which is basically a stripped down version of SQL Server, is free. MySQL comes in free versions as well.

You would probably want to use PHP and/or ASP to interact with the data via a web browser.

Patrick

StepUP is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2000
    Well Patrick..I'd really have to disagree with that.

Access actually works great on the web. Now in the old style, you could write ASP script to display records on a web site in an HTML table format. A bit difficult at first but not bad once you get the hang of it.

Another alternative is to use DAP (data access pages). Works OK, but I'm not a big fan, and if you are using a commerical hosting provider, they probably won't support this feature.

Finally, you could use ADO.Net. The new version (2.0 using Visual Studio 2005) ROCKS! And its relatively easy to switch from Access to, say, SQL if you need to upgrade in the future. BTW, you could also use Visual Web Developer Express edition to do this...and its FREE! Check out the Microsoft site for details.

As for security...well on the web it really doesn't apply. Just make sure you put the .MDB file in a directory that is on the same or lower level as your web site folder so it can't be downloaded directly.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.