Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    batowl is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

Form Not Holding Data

I am building a database with a form used for data entry. When I open the form, enter data, then exit out of it, the next time I enter the form all the data I previously entered is gone. It is stored in the table no problem, but I also want it to be displayed in the form. All the previous databases I have built have displayed the data within the form regardless of whether or not I have entered and exited it. Any clues on how to get the form to display all the data, not just the data that I entered during this one instance?

SteveH2508 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2000
    When the form's Data Entry property is set to Yes you do not see the records already entered. Set Allow Additions to Yes and Data Entry to No and you will see the other records.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks, but both of those properties are currently set that way for the form... any other suggestions? I have never had to mess with any of this before, I thought the default setting in Access was for the form to keep displaying previous entries.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    I would have to go along with SteveH's post. Try importing your db into a fresh new db and see if the problem follows. It only take a minute or so: http://www.btabdevelopment.com/ts/impnew

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    What kind of criteria do you have in the recordsource for the form? Remove any criteria you might have in the recordsource query.

Windows XP Access 2003
    In the Record Source I have: SELECT [Table Name].[Field 1], [Table Name].[Field 2]... etc. Should I delete all of that?

Windows XP Access 2003
    I just created a very simple two table database which have a one-to-one relationship between the tables and created a form based on the two tables. This form is displaying the data between enter/exits (unlike the one I am currently working on) and it has all the same Data properties (as the one I am currently working on). Very confused...

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Typically, you have 1 table as the recordsource per form. Although you can link 2 tables together as the recordsource for the form, this can sometimes make the recordset read-only or possibly not showing previously entered records (depending on how the relationship is created). Normally, you would use a subform (or popup form) to enter data into the relational table.

For example, if your relationship between the 2 tables is 1 to 1 and both tables are part of the recordsource, you may be able to enter new records but since you haven't populated records in the relational table, you wouldn't be able to see those records on the form (since it's a 1 to 1 relationship and there are no records in the relational table - BUT, if you create a relational record corresponding to the main record, you should then see that record on the form). Try changing the recordsource of your form so it's based ONLY on the main table (then design a subform (or popup form) for the relational table) or change your join between the tables to a 1 to many.

If you use criteria in the recordsource query for the form (ie. Select * from MyTable WHERE [myfieldname] = something), you could end up with a situation where you can enter new records but you can't see other records entered since they don't meet the criteria.

Windows XP Access 2003

Another Form Will Not Hold Data

Hi,

So here I am creating a new database from scratch and once again, the form where I enter all of the data will not hold any data between exiting and entering the database. The last time I had this problem, I think it resolved by copying the database and pasting it and renaming it something else... but trying that this time is not working and this is a bit of an emergency. If someone knows of an immediate and quick solution (rather than the one I stumbled upon earlier for another db) I would be very grateful...

Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Have you tried what I suggested in post #4?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes, I tried importing into a new database this morning. Once with data and structure, once only with structure, and neither time did the form hold data when exiting and re-entering.

What do you have for a RecordSource of the form?

Windows XP Access 2003
    The record source is all the tables that make up the database with the exception of the one table where there is a one-to-many relationship. That is in a subform.

In that case maybe this link will help: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html

Windows XP Access 2003
    I am not sure I understand - because I have my data split among several tables, the form will not hold any data? I know I have created a database like this before and the form displayed the data from tables with one to one and one to many relationships...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.