jpkeller55 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Security Advice

I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction regarding the best method to add security to an existing Access database application our company is using. Currently, we have a backend database that holds the data for the tables. Each user that accesses that data utilizes a front end database with all the queries and forms etc... Each user has their own individual front end database.

I want to make sure that users cannot have direct access to the tables and can only update data using forms. I have tried to utilize a workgroup approach but found that does no good since my users all have their own individual front end databases.

Can somebody direct me to a good resource on this topic? Thanks much.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    it depends Jim. What's the goal? Just to keep people out of the tables? Just to limit them to forms? Does anybody but you have access to the back end?

Things like that are important, correct?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi Adam,

My primary concern is that users do not have the ability to get into the tables directly and that all edits are done thru the forms. I am not too concerned about their ability to access forms and queries as they have their own front end version that gets updated occassionaly via a batch file. That said, I guess it would be nice to invoke some security around the front end, but my goal is to make sure that no data can be touched directly in the tables. We have an audit log functionality that logs changes but it only works if the user uses the forms.

does that make sense? thanks, Jim

so it sounds like the tables are the big deal. How about user level security with specified permission on object types?

wouldn't that do the trick?

Windows XP Access 2003
    That sounds fine...just need to figure out how to do that on multiple front end databases. I have no experience with any security stuff other than the workgroup thing I tried which I don't think will work in this case.

Jim,

I'm not sure but I think you might have to redistribute the front ends. I'm no expert, so obviously I can't tell you for sure.

Google "ms access secure back end". I did that and came up with articles that were pretty helpful. Some are by Joan Wilder, which she of course is one of those people that publishes the Access books (I think)

Windows XP Access 2003
    OK, thanks Adam. I can redistribute the front ends with no problem as I do that now with a batch file anytime I make an update to the FE. I will leave this thread open for a bit in case anybody else has some suggestions. Thanks, Jim

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.