Getting Reports to not display lines based on blank table data

Hope someone can help. I'm a non-programming noob.

I've a table that contains details about components a client wants priced (component name, length, width, detail1, quantity of detail1, detail2, quantity of detail2)

Sometimes the client will require 1 detail, sometimes 2, sometimes none.

I've created a report that takes the data from this table and displays it in the following layout as well as performing claculations based on the data entered in the table (essentially the report is the Estimate I want to hand out to the client);

(component name) of size (length) x (width)mm. = £##.##
    (quantity of detail1) x (detail1)
    (quantity of detail2) x (detail2)

This works, and displays, fine when each component has two details, however when only one, or no details are required (and the table cells have therefore been left blank) then there are lines with " x " only showing.

How can I get the report to do something like "If cell = blank, then don't print (quantity) x (detail)"?

Thanks in advance

jya is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Not sure how you have this set up. Is the information displayed on separate lines? Perhaps you could use an IIF statement.

IIF(IsNull([detail]),"",[quantity] x [detail])

Thanks jya,

That worked a treat! The text between the two blank fields has successfully disappeared. However if I enter something in "detail2", and leave "detail1" blank I get a blank line of text where detail1 would be entered if it had a value.

Is there a way I can format my report so that space is not reserved for a blank entry, and any subsequent data "jumps up" into the next available blank space?

jya is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Formatting is not really my strong point, but perhaps you could try something like this. Put all of your information in a single field.

=IIF(isempty([detail1]),null,[quantity1] x [detail1] & Chr(13) & Chr(10)) & IIF(isempty([detail2]),null,[quantity2] x [detail2])

I'm assuming that you used two separate fields. I don't know how to remove the extra line using two separate fields. Using the 'Chr(13) & Chr(10)', you can insert a carriage return between entries. I've never actually tried to do what your doing. Let me know if this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.