asawadude is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003

Importing non-fixed width, non-comma delimited text file into Access 2003

I'm trying to help my wife create a real estate database which will populated with values imported from non-fixed width, non-comma delimited text files. An example copy of the text file is attached.

The relevant field names and corresponding information are contained in the text file.

Some of the fields are contained in a single line (example below)
    Price Per Sqft: $394.80

However, other lines contain multiple fields (example below)
    AC: Y Pool: N

I've captured 3 or 4 files and it appears that data for each field appears in the same position on each line uniformly from file to file.

20 years ago, back in the old dBase days, I had a program that would read and convert a text file like this. You could bring the file into its template builder to visually map the field identifiers and the number of characters containing the field data. Once the template was built, it was a simple matter to batch convert text files into .dbf files.

Damn, it's bothering me that I can't remember the name of the program.

Is there something out there in today's world that does the same thing? I simply need to get the data into a format readable by MS Access 2003. Any freeware? If nothing out there exists, is there a simple solution in Access?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

alansidman is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I did a little data mining using the terms "Converting unstructured text to table". I got several hits in Google. Not being entirely sure how you want to handle this, I felt it better to advise you to take a similar step instead of recommending anything in particular. Good luck and if you find something that is worthwhile, please post back as I am sure that others would find the results useful.

Alan

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Thanks, Alan.

By coincidence, I was doing exactly that last evening - looking at converting unstructured text to tables. There's are a few programs out there that appear to be exactly what I need for this project, but judging from the price tags, all are aimed squarely at corporate users.

Some offer trial programs but I hesitate to use something that I would eventually expire.

However PervasiveDataTools.com has a program that has allows for a free license for 180 days and is essentially freeware, but I also see many people in their support forum stating that their requests for the ID and password to unlock the software are not being answered by the developer.

I'm downloading the Pervasive software now. Big download - 170MB!

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    asawadude,

When I saw this thread, the following jumped out at me.

What's so special about this file? If your wife just wants to create a database, why use such "non standard" text input?

How would such a database be kept current?
    If you have access to these "form images" or whatever they are, why not get access to the raw data in table or more structured format?

If your wife is a realtor, why not get access to the proper system/table?

Just very curious why using such text input is so important.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Let me see if I understand your questions.

You want to know why I'm dealing with a primitive file structure when other formats are suitable for my requirements (i.e. comma delimited, csv, etc.).

Because it's all I have to work with.

You want to know why my wife is not using a more structured file format.

#1 - It requires a paid subscription.
    #2 - It is limited to a monthly 5000 record download, a limit that is easily reached and exceeded.

My wife made the decision to eliminate this cost from her business because the same data is available for free.

I thank you for responding to my thread, but I have no idea how your questions are relevant to my original post other than to second guess.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Thanks for responding. I wasn't trying to be critical, just curious. Sometimes people pick a somewhat difficult path because they are not aware of other options. You have looked at your options and made a decision.
    Good for you. Good luck with this project.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.