donavan01 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Unhappy avg/min/max data help needed badly

I am sorry if this has been answered before or if it seems like an overly simple question, but I have been searching for hours for an answer to this. I need to display either a form or report, I don't really care which, that will have a text box that will display the average (or minimum/maximum) for a given field inside of a table. However I do not want all the records just the ones the meet my criteria I have tried the following and nothing seems to work.

1 text box with DAvg

Code:
    =DAvg("Field1",[Table],[Table]![Field2]=[Forms]![InputBox1]![Combobox1])
    This gives me an #name? error.

2 I have tried doing an SQL query and have the control source point to that and I can get all sorts of errors here depending on how I go about it.

my exact SQL code as of now
    Code:
    SELECT AVG(Archive.Moist_AR) AS Moist_Avg
    FROM Archive
    WHERE (((Archive.Sample_Location)=Forms!InputBox_Stats_Moisture!Location) AND((Archive.Customer_Name)=Forms!InputBox_Stats_Moisture!Customer));
    I do not want to list any of the records just the averages of them.

I have googled my brains out and have no idea what is going on with it, Please help me!

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    try:
    =DAvg("Field1",[Table],"[Table]![Field2]='" & [Forms]![InputBox1]![Combobox1] & "'")

Thanks for the quick reply but there seems to be a little issues with the quotes you are using for your answer you have some " and a ' in there that doesnt seem to be correct can you check it again?

SELECT AVG(Archive.Moist_AR) AS Moist_AR_Avg
    FROM Archive
    WHERE (((Archive.Sample_Location)=Forms!InputBox_Stats_M oisture!Location) And ((Archive.Cusomer_Name)=Forms!InputBox_Stats_Moist ure!Customer));

This code works perfectly when run by itself but the second I try to set it as that control source

=[Stats_Moist_AR_AVG]![Moist_AR_Avg]

it totally craps out what am I doing wrong

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    it is correct if field2 is a text field.
    of course you can replace all the ' with "" if you like.

Talking

Weelend00 sorry, my bad on the ' and " issue the font I have made it a little hard to see and my eyes tricked me.

I have got the code working for anyone that may run into this issue in the future here is the correct syntax and an explanation.

Code:
    =DAvg("Field1","Table1","[Table1]![Field2]='" & [Forms]![Input_Form1]![ComboBox1] & "'")
    Field1 - This is the field I am trying to average
    Field2 - This is the criteria I am searching by (limiting factor)
    Table1 - This is the table everything gets pulled from
    Input_Form1 - This is a seperate form to retrieve user input
    ComboBox1 - Combo box on Input_Form1

The same code above will work for min/max by changing the DAvg to DMin/DMax

This may have been simple but I literally looked for hours for an answer to this question so I figured I would document this well now that I found the answer

OK so after getting this to work I realized I need it to be more complex than it is. I need this same code to allow for the selection of a date range from a stored value. However when I try what I think would be correct I get a number back that isn't correct at all.

Code:
    =DAvg("Moist_AR","Archive","[Archive]![Sample_Location]='" & [Forms]![InputBox_Stats_Location_Customer]![Combo_Location] & "'" & " AND " & "[Archive]![Customer_Name]='" & [Forms]![InputBox_Stats_Location_Customer]![Combo_Customer] & "'" & " AND " & "[Archive]![Date_Sampled] BETWEEN '" & [Forms]![InputBox_Stats_Location_Customer]![txtDate_Start] AND [Forms]![InputBox_Stats_Location_Customer]![txtDate_End] & "'")
    I'm not sure if you can even do a BETWEEN here if so please help if not please tell me how I can do the date select along with the code above that does work.

Thumbs up Solved for now at least

OK so after some help from HansV MVP over at social.answers.microsoft.com I now have a working piece of code. Im not going to detail this bit since its not my creation totally but you can check the discussion out if you like after the code.

=DAvg("Moist_AR","Archive","[Archive]![Sample_Location]='" & [Forms]![InputBox_Stats_Location_Customer]![Combo_Location] & "' AND [Archive]![Customer_Name]='" & [Forms]![InputBox_Stats_Location_Customer]![Combo_Customer] & "' AND [Archive]![Date_Sampled] BETWEEN #" & Format([Forms]![InputBox_Stats_Location_Customer]![txtDate_Start],"mm\/dd\/yyyy") & "# AND #" & Format([Forms]![InputBox_Stats_Location_Customer]![txtDate_End],"mm\/dd\/yyyy") & "#")

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...b-f55c107bb068

Thanks for the help everyone one and I hope this helps someone else along the way.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.