amal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

"cannot define field more than once"!!!!

I am trying to export a file from excel 2007 to access 2007 and I keep getting the error "cannot define field more than once"
    I doubled and tripled check every field - they're all completely different (I even used excel count function to make sure each is only repeated once).
    They're all less than 10 characters. No numbers or spaces in the fields.
    What's wrong?? How can I solve this!

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Try copying the data and pasting it into Access and see if the same error shows up. I have no idea why it would do that.

amal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    it's a 144MB file, 100 columns and 12 thousand rows, not something I can copy .

Windows XP Access 2003
    100 columns? I highly doubt they all would go into a single table. What does this xls contain? It probably needs to be broken down.

amal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    100 columns? I highly doubt they all would go into a single table. What does this xls contain? It probably needs to be broken down.
    detailed telecom traffic and revenue per subscriber. i need to conduct analysis on all fields. excel is too slow so my only option is to export to access. i used to do it just fine, but i never had this many columns.

i could reduce them by about 10 or so but not more.

Windows XP Access 2003
    Take a look at this and see if anything is clashing. Often Access will throw an error message that really isn't the problem but an effect of another problem. Possibly field names truncating and matching, or something of the sort.
    http://www.databasedev.co.uk/access_specifications.html

Outside of that, you can always break your import into multiple tables then combine then. create a column that holds the numbers 1-whatever. then break them down into 4 copy pastes of 25 columsn each, each containing that original ID column. Run a make table query that will re-assemble them into one table.
    After that, I'm stumped.

amal is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    makes sense, thanks.

daver is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2003

normalization has nothing to do with the OP's problem

Quote Originally Posted by TheShabz View Post
    I'm having the same issue as the original poster. But I'm finding that every thread discussing it on whatever forum has the same frustrating conclusion. Someone raises an obscure question of normalization when they should know full well that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's issue. It has the same effect I see in this one...the dialog takes a left and the issue isn't dealt to anyone's satisfaction. THIS IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING.

It's like saying my car broke down going to the store and someone says you shouldn't be driving that much. Please...if you can't advance the discussion, please refrain from posting at all.

stretchymantis is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

"Compact and restore database' then restart Access

Might not be the problem-solver for everyone, but I chose the 'Compact and Restore database' option, saved, shut down Access completely, and brought the database back up. It then had the culprit field in that table. It's as though it's deleted, but not entirely removed from the database.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by daver View Post
    I'm having the same issue as the original poster. But I'm finding that every thread discussing it on whatever forum has the same frustrating conclusion. Someone raises an obscure question of normalization when they should know full well that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's issue. It has the same effect I see in this one...the dialog takes a left and the issue isn't dealt to anyone's satisfaction. THIS IS SOOOO FRUSTRATING.

It's like saying my car broke down going to the store and someone says you shouldn't be driving that much. Please...if you can't advance the discussion, please refrain from posting at all.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.