Enora is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

a video descriptive database ?

Good evening everyone!

I am working on a documentary and I have 10 000 short videos to sort! I am looking for a database/software program which will help me.

In brief I want to attribute several categories to files, in order to find later (when I will make the documentary) the one who matchs with my search.
    step 1 : building a descriptive video database by using an "adjustable checkbox interface".
    I have to watch all these little videos in order to attribute to each of them, categories and sub-categories (each category/subcategory will describe what was shoot in the video).
    Eg : I am watching the video 00001, and in the same window of this program (if possible) I could tick some boxes. (I guess I will have to work only with the name of files, that will be more light for the database.)
    Eg : I will tick the category "Mozambique", sub category "landscape", sub subcategory "coconut" + I write a comment : "rainy day".
    How to build this first interface/window?
    The best will be to use a accordion menu in order to hide the subcategory (a lot of subcategory).

Step 2 : building an "search interface", using the database
    When I will make the documentary, I will select some of the videos I am looking for, by choosing some of the criteria :
    for ex. I want a video with a "coconut", and with a "sun shine". By searching in the database, I will have the list of all the videos which match with what I want.
    I could search the video by choosing a keyword from a category, and/or subcategory, and/or a comment.
    How to build this other interface/window?

Can I do that with MS ACCESS ?

I thank you so much for your time !

Enora

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    First, good luck with your project.

The answers to your questions depend a lot on your expectations and experience.

My suggestion - spend a lot of time in the design of your "categories approach". There have been many careers and PhD theses devoted to categorizing information.

Trying to develop somewhat independent categories that can be broken down into subcategories and sub sub categories and sub sub sub categories..... can be tedious and rewarding.

Most of what you're talking about is design and discipline. Putting it into a language or database will be a process - but get the design and approach figured out before going to far worrying about Access screens etc.

Do some samples with a few of your videos. This issue has been "solved on a per requirement basis" for things like
    -categorizing library books (Dewey Decimal System)
    - (ISBN ) see http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/about/index.html
    - collections of photographs
    see http://www.terragalleria.com/picture...ategories.html
    - pattern matching
    - processes for finding spelling errors
    - name matching and confusion analysis
    - DNA matching

Also:
    Some details re the EXIF metadata on digital photograph
    http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20080292196

You will see that your expectations and effort will determine or at least affect your approach to your project.
    Last edited by orange; 02-08-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Enora is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    thanks so much for your reply Orange, because I am not home, I print your message. I will let you know, but I would you to understand how grateful I am, thank you so much for all your advice.

I'll come back !

Eno

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.