websterh is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Exclamation Open (sub)form linking 2 criteria on current form

Hi, THIS IS AN URGENT POSTING (it's for work)

Sorry if this sounds repetitive but i have searched on the internet and other forums for for at least 4 hours to find a clear answer to this but when i try those steps "Type mismatch" and other error messages always appear.

Table structure:
    Primary Key = MRN
    Primary Key = Facility (due to facilities possibly having the same MRN)

I have one form (CLIENT) that holds/displays the main information.
    I click on a button to open the popup form (CLIENT Edit).

I am wanting to open this form linking the active record (on CLIENT) to the opened record (on CLIENT Edit) using both the MRN & Facility references.

The following works for the first MRN matching the criteria:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "CLIENT Edit", acNormal, , "[MRN]=" & Me.[MRN], acFormEdit, acWindowNormal
    This however only gets the first Facility name (sorted A-Z) instead of the actual record i would like. Example: MRN 001231 are both at HosA and HosT; whenever the button is clicked HosA will always appear when it loads even though HosT is the record/facility i want.

Any chance someone could please post the VBA to this as i have tried roughy 20 different variations of possibly workarounds/answers but they do not seem to work?.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    ...<snip>I am wanting to open this form linking the active record (on CLIENT) to the opened record (on CLIENT Edit) using both the MRN & Facility references.

The following works for the first MRN matching the criteria:
    DoCmd.OpenForm "CLIENT Edit", acNormal, , "[MRN]=" & Me.[MRN], acFormEdit, acWindowNormal
    This however only gets the first Facility name (sorted A-Z) instead of the actual record i would like. Example: MRN 001231 are both at HosA and HosT; whenever the button is clicked HosA will always appear when it loads even though HosT is the record/facility i want.

Any chance someone could please post the VBA to this as i have tried roughy 20 different variations of possibly workarounds/answers but they do not seem to work?.
    At the beginning of the procedure add:

Code:
       Dim strWhere as String
    then

Code:
    ' If the field "[Facility]" is a string, use delimiters
    strWhere = "[MRN]=" & Me.[MRN] & " and [Facility] = '" & Me.TEXT_BOX_NAME & "'"
    DoCmd.OpenForm "CLIENT Edit", acNormal, , strWhere, acFormEdit, acWindowNormal

where
    "Me.TEXT_BOX_NAME" is the name of the control the has the Facility name. Change "Me.TEXT_BOX_NAME" to the name of your control.

If you set a breakpoint, you can check strWhere to see if the "Where" string has the correct parameters.

websterh is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Talking

Thank you so much for the quick reply (and great coding) Steve.

It works.
    For everyone's reference the coding is below.

Private Sub CMD2ClientEdit_Click()
    Dim strWhere As String
    strWhere = "[MRN]=" & Me.[MRN] & " and [Facility] = '" & Me.[Facility] & "'"
    DoCmd.OpenForm "CLIENT Edit", acNormal, , strWhere, acFormEdit, acWindowNormal
    End Sub
    I seemed to have the strWhere and the single quote, i.e. ' , missing but... yay --- this has def been the highlight of my day.
    Last edited by websterh; 02-08-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: formatting of [ ] in vba

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.