eskapades is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Red face Using data from a select query for an update query to a table

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Access, and generally self taught, so sorry if this seems really ignorant!

I have two tables, one has the highest completed module of a course that our users take. I found the highest completed module from my 'Raw Data' table and sorted it by using a 'Select' query.

I am now looking to use two fields from the data this query produced, to update two fields in my 'User Information' table.

The two fields from the Raw Data are 'Title' and 'Last Studied', which I will then use to update the 'Last Completed Module' and 'Last completed Module date' in my User Information table.

Whenever I try to build a query using the Select query 'Raw data with highest completed module' to update the User Information table, I get an error message with:

"operation must use an updateable query"

I have absolutely no idea about SQL. I can read it, but am not great at writing it. So if anyone could help me out with the standard query table format, that would be great!

I would appreciate any help anyone could give me! I've been looking and practicing for days, and while I understand the things I have read they don't seem to work. I don't know if it's because of the data, but it's probably more because I don't really know what I'm doing!

Thank you in advance!

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You'll be needing an INSERT INTO query, not a SELECT query to put data into a table. A Google search will give you the structure. It should end up looking something like:

INSERT INTO [User Information] ([Last Completed Module], [Last Completed Module Date])
    SELECT( 'the contents of the SELECT query that pulled the data')

eskapades is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    That's great, thank you! I'll try it out and let you know how it works!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.