danjc424 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Security for A Single Database on a shared Server

Hello All,

At work, all employees utilize Access 2000 on their individual computers. Our computers are all linked to a shared server in which there is a single Access database. My goal is create security for this database so that the employees can log into this database with limited permissions.

I know, basically, how to create the workgroup information file on my own computer and set up accounts/permissions, but how do I translate this so that it functions on a shared network? Does each employee need a new workgroup file installed on each of their computers or can I just put one file on the shared server along with the database? If that is the case, does this involve simply creating a shortcut on their computer to this new database with an added string in the target field that indicates which work-group information file to utilize? Could anyone briefly explain how I would do that? Are there any issues I might encounter in trying to translate what i know about security with my single computer database to a shared network database?

Thanks in advance for your help,
    Dan

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Here's one technique that I use:
    https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...mple-7538.html - this shows how to create a security/user type table for the users and assign permission levels to them. The permission levels are then used to make buttons visible/invisible/locked/etc... The user also doesn't need to 'login' since the code automatically grabs the user's loginID and matches that to the security/user table.

I personally don't like dealing with MSAccess Security and the mdw file it creates. If you do create Security via MSAccess, you'll need to add users to the security and they'll need to open the mdb using a shortcut with a parameter to point to the mdw. You'll also want to copy the mdw file to the network (most likely in the same folder as the mdb so everyone can access it in their shortcut).

If you put the mdb on the server, you'll also want to split the mdb into a frontend mdb (which will have linked tables to the backend mdb) and a backend mdb (which will have the actual tables).

I also like to use this technique when I have multiple users accessing the mdb on a network: https://www.accessforums.net/code-re...sier-7572.html - it prevents one specific user from locking the mdb (ldb) file.

The other option is to put a copy of the frontend on each user's desktop (which has linked tables) to a backend mdb on the shared network drive.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.