Melo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003

Front end link to back end

I recently finished an access database. To distribute it, I used the Database Splitter to divide it into a front end and a back end. The Back end is currently located on my shared folder available to all members of my home network. I placed the front end on the same shared folder and asked the members to copy it to their own drive and put a shortcut on their desktop.

It work well until I decided to secure the front end. Using the User Lever Security Wizard, I secured the front end which produced an "mdb" file on my desktop. It tested it on my computer and it worked well as it asked for a username and password. THE PROBLEM IS WHEN IS COPIED THE "mdb" FILE TO THE MEMBERS, THEY CANNOT CONNECT TO THE BACK END.

I tried to use the linked table manager but the same is "grayed" or not accessible. How can I link both ends?

I will appreciate all the help you can give me.

Thank you and best regards.

Melo

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    I can't advise much here, so I'm seeing if anyone else can talk so I can learn something too.

what were the settings from the wizard? what access did you give them? did you set up the table links before using the wizard, or after? I believe, but don't quote me, that once the tables are spec'd to a path, the link is always there, indicated by those cute little arrows on the left side of the table icons.

members are using their own passwords and such, right?

there may be other issues, but like I said, not much experience with this recently so it's rusty in my brain to say the least.

Melo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    Hi Adam,

Nice to see again. My previous queries have already been resolved. I just found a way around it. Any my database is now complete, thanks to your help, but my problem now is on the distribution.

The database is located on a shared (with full authority) folder located on my desktop computer. In the wizard, I created two groups (Full user and New user) with the default authorities/rights.

You are right about the little arrows and the tables being linked almost automatically. But that was only after the database was split into BE and FE. It was just a simple copy/paste from my computer to the other user/computer and the link was already established. There was one computer that did not automatically link but it was easily resolved by the Linked Table Manager under the Database Utilities.

The problem presented itself when I secured the Front End. It initially went well in the sense that the shortcut (mdb file) created by the wizard on my desktop opened by requiring a username and password. However, when I copied and pasted it to the desktop of the other users, it resulted to the following error:

Microsoft Office Access can't find the database file 'C:\UMTC ACCTG\UMTC Acctg.2011.mdb'

Make sure you have the correct path.

That is where I am now. I hope our community here can help me.

Thank you again, very much!

Melo

Melo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    Hi Adam and everyone!

I was able to solve this problem. I traced the path of msaccess in the computer of each user then the path to the mdb file in my shared folder and then the path to the BE also in my shared folder.

Thanks everyone and more power!

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    marked as solved. please do this on your own.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.