beru777 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

"On Current" event and ActiveX controls

Hi,

Using Access 2007 sp2, if I create a form and drop an activex treeview control (MS Common controls 6.0 sp6) on it, then write an event handler for the "On Current" event like this:

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Current() 
         TreeView4.Nodes.Clear 
     End Sub
    I get a "Runtime error 438 Object doesn't support this property or method" whenever the event is fired.

However, if I put the exact same code in an "On update" handler, or even a button click event handler, it works fine.

Is there anything I can do to make things work properly in the "On Current" event ?

Thanks,
    Béru

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    what are you updating? and why does it need to be on the "current" event?? what are you doing? what's the tview displaying??

there might be a problem between the invoke process of the treeview and the form's events.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm displaying some data about the current record. It's a split form, I need to update the treeview every time the user navigates to another record...

Quote Originally Posted by beru777 View Post
    I'm displaying some data about the current record. It's a split form, I need to update the treeview every time the user navigates to another record...
    does the actual active x control have an attributes hierarchy associated with it? for instance, the web browser control's hierarchy is basically the same as the DOM in html.

reason - can you refresh it or something?

Windows XP Access 2007
    I have tried all sorts of things but the properties specific to the TreeCtrl class simply do not "exist" within "on current" event handlers. So I used a trick: change focus from one control to another and use the GotFocus event of that control to update my treeview. It's ugly but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by beru777 View Post
    I have tried all sorts of things but the properties specific to the TreeCtrl class simply do not "exist" within "on current" event handlers. So I used a trick: change focus from one control to another and use the GotFocus event of that control to update my treeview. It's ugly but it works.
    the current event has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not properties and methods for an object, active x or not, exist.

but if you've solved it, I'm going to mark this thread as such. If you want to reopen it, please do so.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Well they should not have anything to do with whether or properties and methods exist... but they do... try it for yourself: drop an activex treeview in a form, and just try and clear the nodes in the Form_current event...

anyway, "solved" is fine by me, although I would like to have an explanation of this very strange behaviour !

Thanks,
    Beru

CSchnorr is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

same error in my form

This seems to be a "Thread" or ActiveX-Security Thing. The invocation of the Code has no access to the ActiveX Memory. As I faced as well problems with the Setfocus, for I activated Records from within the Table view I search for an alternative solution.

It can be overcome by creating a "thread safe" callout.

I have a separate module with

Function SendApplicationMessage(aform As String, amessage As String, Optional avalue)
    Dim adlg As Form
    On Error GoTo notopen
    Set adlg = Forms(aform)
    adlg.Message amessage, avalue
    postnotopen:
    On Error GoTo 0
    Set adlg = Nothing
    Exit Function
    notopen:
    Resume postnotopen
    End Function

This allows me to send "Custom events" between Access Forms, that are equipment with a public Interface procedure:

public sub Message(acmd as string, apar as variant)
    select acmd
    case "DOITTHREADSAFE"
    ' do whatever I want with the tree object
    end select
    end sub

Hope this is suitable to someone ;-)

Carsten

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.