gg80 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007

"Can't find field"error msg

I have something stange (to me) going on.

I have a report that contains a subreport. The report source is a query. Two of the controls, both are derived by combining other fields, are group headers on the report. IDquoteAll is a group header and SailTypeAll is a subgroup header. The subreport is linked as child=IDquote;SailType to parent=IDquoteAll;SailTypeAll.

When I open the report in Print Preview, all is perfect.

When I open it in Report View, I get the message "Microsoft can't find the field IDquote referred to in your expression". I click ok then get the same message for SailType. The report displays correctly, but the messages keep coming.

Using A2007 with W7. any help appreciated.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    well not sure; gonna have to trouble shoot; the message can be generating from the underlying query, from sort/group, or from report.

open the subreport standalone - and see if it occurs
    make copy of main report; delete sub report - open and see if it occurs....

make sure your field list and your controls don't have any misspellings....

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks for quick reply. Without the sub report, there is no error message. The sub opens fine on its own. My puzzlement is that I get the error message in the report view, but not in the print preview. I only need the print preview, but am afraid that this indicates something unstable in the report construction.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    as much as I like solving an error - I don't think you need worry that the object is corrupt per se. 'Report View' is relatively new - allowing interactive capability to reports. up till now a Report was totally passive and had no active links on it. this is what you have with Print Preview.

I don't have a hint on your fix for Report view as actually so far I haven't needed this type feature so not alotof experience in it...but I don't think your Print Preview is at risk.... In any case, depending on your patience - you can trouble shoot by rebuilding the report & testing as you go - to figure out what new element is causing the problem.....

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Thanks for taking the time. I did try another from scratch and got the same problem, which I admit, in this case is a non-problem as I really want the print preview anyway. I also found out that the error message occurs in the new layout view option.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.