mjhnps is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Populate Related Fields in Multiple Tables..?

I need help creating a form that will auto-populate data for two linking fields in multiple tables (ASMIS_ID and LINK_ID). How can I get my form to auto-populate data in the linking fields..?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Welcome to the forum

We'll need to get a better understanding of your table structure (table names, key fields, relationships etc.). Can you provide that? I generally show tables as follows, but you could also paste your relationship diagram if that is easier:

tblOrders
    -pkOrderID primary key, autonumber
    -dteOrder
    -fkCustomerID foreign key to tblCustomers

tblOrderDetails
    -pkOrderDetailsID primary key, autonumber
    -fkOrderID foreign key to tblOrders
    -fkItemID foreign key to tblItems

mjhnps is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by jzwp11 View Post
    Welcome to the forum

We'll need to get a better understanding of your table structure (table names, key fields, relationships etc.). Can you provide that? I generally show tables as follows, but you could also paste your relationship diagram if that is easier:

Hi, thanks for your quick reply...

Attached, is a database, that includes some forms I've created to make data population less cumbersome--although, I believe there has to be a better design. I can't adjust the tables, because they are a national standard, and cannot be altered

In essence, what I'm trying to do is autopopulate identical fields in multiple tables. In other words I could enter the values for ASMIS ID# & SUBSITE and the form would then auto-populate those entries for all tables containing those identical fields. The forms i've provided indicate the required fields for all related tables. Sorry, if they look unwieldy.

The workflow I'm looking for is...

ASMIS <table> will be the primary/master form, while SUBSITE <table> would serve as the central hub to all tables with ASMIS ID # & SUBSITE as related fields. There can be multiple SUBSITE fields to one ASMIS ID#, so I'd like to have a form that will automatically add the next sequence (000, 001, 002, etc) to the SUBSITE field upon triggering an "Add New Subsite" button. Those entries will then auto-populate the identical ASMIS ID# & SUBSITE fields in all related tables.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... Plus, I'm sure you fantastically, challenge-oriented programmers may want to take a stab at it.

Cheers,
    Mike

mjhnps is offline Novice
    Please click on the attached image to see the relationships of this database....

Thanks for viewing,
    mike

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I can't adjust the tables, because they are a national standard, and cannot be altered
    Without being able to normalize the table structure, you are going to have all kinds of problems in whatever you do with this database. I'm usually up for a good challenge, but with my hands being tied by not being able to alter the table structure, I'll have to pass. My apologies.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.