dssrun is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Best Way to Collect Data

I have a form with a combo box, a date text box and five other text boxes. Each day this form needs to add about 10 records from other people. What is the best way to collect data with a form like this? Do I give them access to the database? If i use the "Create email" i can only collect one record at a time and I do not want to send out 10 emails daily. Thanks.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    if they are all part of the same LAN - then give each their own FE to enter data.

if they are not on the same LAN and if data-via-email is not suitable - then look to a web form via Sharepoint hosting.

hope this helps.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I am relatively new to access 2007, what is FE and how do you go about doing this?

NTC is offline VIP
    ah; well no one can possibly undertake a database design without a textbook. there is just too much stuff. you can easily find one at Amazon or any big book store....

all multi user Access dbs must be split into an FE front end and BE back end....this will be covered in the textbook.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thanks, any good book suggestions? I know there are tons out there, some better than others.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    ah; well no one can possibly undertake a database design without a textbook. there is just too much stuff.
    I know you're a pro at this NTC, but I couldn't resist disagreeing with this. Yes, documentation is needed for server side dbs, but Access? NO. Comparably, it is small and non-complex, even in a multi-user environment. But for newbies, yeah maybe. I say because forums like this can serve as a much better resource than a book for a small program.

Windows XP Access 2007
    so would there be an easier way? Really this data will just be shared with one other member on our network. I have created databases for myself in access that automate a lot of my work, but I have never had to get the data from someone else so I am not totally oblivious to the functions of acess. Thanks.

NTC is offline VIP
    in the version you have; I would recommend Step by Step or Inside Out. There is also a true textbook intended for formal classes with exercises and everything that was published by Thompson I believe that can be particularly good for new comers.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Great thanks for all the help

Access for Dummys isn't a bad place to start.
    Also "Microsoft Access 2000 in 21 days" was a easy read.
    Don't forget online tutorials

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.