benjammin' is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2000

Database Design / Data Entry

Hi all,

I've been working on an inventory database in access (2003, though 2010 will be rolled out to everyone soon) and I would appreciate some help. Attached is my relationship view, i think it's OK but i have a few questions...

A little background, this DB is for an inventory of dataloggers and associated equipment (solar panels, batteries, enclosures, various sensors, etc...). Each datalogger is a station and there can be many stations for each site. Across all the stations the equipment is fairly uniformed, ie only a few models of dataloggers, solar panels, etc... so i wanted to have only one record for each model.

All ID fields are autonumber/increment and everything is linked via ID.

Now I assume I have to make some queries to actually enter data through a form but this is my biggest problem as I'm not sure how to do this. I.e. if I select the equipment type (anemometer) and put in a vendor (Campbell Scientific) and a model (014A-L) with a serial number (12345) how do i make this all go into the respective tables with links? Maybe if someone has a smaller example to show me that would help. Would I be better off buying a product? When I first started this seemed like it would be a fairly straight-forward project but the more i work on it the less simple it has become.

My other question, I have tblStationModel which is, what I call it, a connector table so that multiple stations can be tied to multiple models, is this acceptable? This seemed to be the best way to do it so I'm not duplicating records...

Just updated the table relationships, tblEquipmentModel and tblMisc are now one to many.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

ConneXionLost is offline Simulacrum
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Hi,

The two tables, [tblStationModel] and [tblMisc], should be one table.

Cheers,

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.