Linked Table Manager

Hello all,

When I select Linked Table Manager from the Tools --> Database Utilities menu option, Access crashes. At first this happened with a database that I copied and put into a new location. Thinking that it might have something to do with the existing links I tried it with a newly created blank database. Same problem. Before Access crashes it looks like it's trying to install something. Am I missing some add-in or installation option from this particular computer maybe ? By the way this is a Citrix server that this problem is occuring on.

Same problem

We are having the same issue. I'm hoping someone here will be able to point us in the direction of a solution.

We have a database converted from Access 2000 to Access 2003. We are trying to deploy it on a new server running Windows Server 2003. Access crashes every time we attempt to bring up the Linked Table Manager. Additionally, the same thing happens when I try to run the Compact and Repair utility or create an MDE file. This is happening ONLY on the new server.

I have managed to get all three utilities to work properly on another machine running Windows XP Professional.

We have tried creating a completely new database under Access 2003, same thing happens. It is also happening with the sample Northwind database (after converting it from 2000 file format to 2002-2003 file format).

We've searched Microsoft's site and the web in general, and your post is the only mention we have so far found of this issue. Can anyone here PLEASE help us or at least point us in the right direction to find the problem and a solution? We are working against a deadline and really need to get over this hurdle soon to make it.

StepUP is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2000
    Are you up to date on all the service packs, both on the server and for Access/Office?

I am not the server admin, but the two guys working on it have assured me that both have been updated. I believe they said Server 2003 is running SP1 and Office is running SP2.

As I mentioned above, everything works properly on another computer that is running XP Pro which makes me wonder if Server 2003 is part of the problem.

Thanks very much for responding!

StepUP is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2000
    Well maybe it is a server issue. I have avoided Access 2003. Nothing new or compelling there, and the macro security is a joke. In general, I skip every other release of Access

The NEXT release ("Office 12") does sound promising, although it looks doubtful that they are going to do anything about User Level security. Also, the whole Sharepoint emphasis, to me, really misses the point of what Access is all about.

If anyone is interested in making a pitch to Microsoft about salvaging security for Access MDB and Sytem.MDW files, please voice your concerns over at the Access 12 blog:

http://blogs.msdn.com/access/archive/2006/02.aspx

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.