Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Regarding this:
    When I use the drop down box, regardless of what day I select, it displays 4 and 4 as the two choices...
    So are you saying that you have 3 columns being displayed in the combo box: 4,4, timevalue?

If so, you just need to adjust the column widths to zero for the columns you don't want the user to see.

Regarding this:
    I tried making the default value for all the combo boxes No, but they appear as zeros, and I encountered problems while building the code to facilitate my needs. Have you had experience with this type of thing? It is probably dead simple, but the dynamics of a combo box are throwing me off...
    I assume these combo boxes are bound to your faculty table, if so having a default value of zero could cause relationship issues since you probably do not have a faculty member that has a zero primary key value. I also assume that you are still talking about combo boxes on a form and not at the table level.

If a person can make multiple faculty appointments then that should be in a separate but related table and those appointments should be represented in a subform with each appointment being a separate record.

Can you explain your table structure in more detail relative to these appointments?

nchesebro is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    The database is too large to attach here, but i put the files online. I think if you have a look at this you would better understand what I am shooting for.

You can download the database from this link:
    http://www.nathanchesebro.net/db/tourdb.accdb

Obviously, for purposes of confidentiality, all student data has been removed from the database.

The faculty names are in text boxes, and the times are in the drop downs. The logic i am using is this: if there only exists one request, only the faculty name and time and place should be allowed to be completed, while also giving the option to schedule another faculty appointment. If a second appointment is requested then the second time and place becomes available to be filled in, and the same for appointment three.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Unfortunately, I do not have Access 2007 here at work, so I will have to wait until later this evening.

i have a 2002-2003 version posted at http://cid-9eda28db31e17672.office.l...px/Public?uc=1
    i also modified the form a bit in a way that would make more sense to inputters, and cleaned it up a little. care to take a peek? didnt realize you were at work... i am too, and this is the project i am working on... but it is proving to be a bit cumbersome.
    Last edited by nchesebro; 01-03-2011 at 01:44 PM. Reason: new working link

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Your Tour Reservation table is not normalized and needs to be corrected before working on the forms. For more on normalization, please check out this site. I'm guessing that your Reservation table will need to be split up into several related tables, but to understand what would be appropriate, we need a better understanding of what your application is designed to do. Could you provide details on what you are doing with the tours?

I hate to do this, but could you please replace that last download with the new one posted here: http://cid-9eda28db31e17672.office.l...px/Public?uc=1

I updated the file so it is easier to understand the flow. I will guide you through the process and purpose of this new file.

There are two columns, one for General Input (what student workers will fill in when prospective students call or go online and complete an email form that is printed off for student workers to input) and the Office Input (what admissions officers use while they research prospective student information from the main university database).

Under the general input, the group tour checkbox will be used to indicate whether the incoming tour is more than one person or not. If it is 2 or more people on tour, it will be considered a group tour. Group size and Names and Relationships of Others on Tour will become enabled if it is in fact an incoming group tour, otherwise, they should not be enabled. The tour date is selected from a date picker. From there, a locked text box will display the day. Based on the day, tour times will become available. (Mon-Fri = 10:30 AM 1:30 PM, Sat= 1:30 PM, Sun = No Tours). If no date is selected, these fields should not be enabled.

The next section is all enabled regardless of other data.

In the next section, there are two drop downs for cirriculum. If a value is not selected from Cirriculum, Cirriculum 2 should not be enabled.

In the next selection Athletic tickets and meal tickets function the same way. If they do not want tickets, number of tickets and type of tickets are not to be enabled. If they need directions to lssu, the appropriate checkbox is selected. If directions are sent via email or mail, the sent? boxes will become enabled.

NEXT COLUMN - OFFICE INPUT

If the student does not request a faculty appointment, Selecting NO from the request Faculty Appointment will mean that all remaining fields on this section will remain disabled. If a Yes value is selected, it should enable Faculty member, Time, and Location, and Request Fac Appt 2. If Request Faculty Appointment 2 is any variation of Yes, it should enable Faculty member 2, Time 2, and Location 2 and Request Faculty Apointment Three. The same pattern applies if any variation of yes is selected from Request Faculty Appointment 3.

In the next section, a checkbox for cancellation exists. if it is checked, cancellation date should be enabled. otherwise it should remain disabled.

No programming is necessary for the remaining sections.

Once the information is completed, a report will need to be generated, placing General input on one page, and Office Input on a seperate page, but we will get more into that later if I need help.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Since your table is not normalized, we need to fix that first! Trying to do anything with the form at this point will not be of value.

Just from the brief description you have provided, you will need a table to hold the people (faculty, prospective students etc.)

You will need a table to hold the tour info and a related table that ties the people to the tour. Then you will need to tie the people/tour combination to the faculty member(s) that the student wants to meet. In terms of a basic table structure, it would look like this:

tblPeople
    -pkPeopleID primary key, autonumber
    -txtFName
    -txtLName

tblTours
    -pkTourID primary key, autonumber
    -txtTourName

tblTourPeople
    -pkTourPeopleID primary key, autonumber
    -fkTourID foreign key to tblTours
    -fkPeopleID foreign key to tblPeople

Now if a person on a tour needs to meet with faculty members, you would structure it like this:

tblTourPeopleFacultyAppts
    -pkTourPeoFacApptID primary key, autonumber
    -fkTourPeopleID foreign key to tblTourPeople
    -fkPeopleID foreign key to tblPeople (the faculty member the student in the group is to meet)

I would assume that the info i have here needs to be split up into two groups, one group would consist of the table for people info (tblPeople) and one for tour info (tblTour) and then linked together in tblTourPeople? If so, i can begin work on that tomorrow morning. Normalization isnt something I have dealt with before, as I am relatively new to Databases, as you could probably tell , and will do some research on it and how to best do it, and come back with any questions I encounter. At this moment, i am renaming all the elements on my form to Leszynski naming convention for ease of use. This of course, means all the VB code will need to be redone, but that should be no big deal.

So do I have the normalization plan kinda figured out with what I mentioned above or do I sound like a maniac?

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    ...consist of the table for people info (tblPeople) and one for tour info (tblTour) and then linked together in tblTourPeople?
    This is the start. There are many other things in your table that will need to be worked out as well.

As to your current form, I would delete it. It will not work once you restructure the tables anyway.

Okay....

well, i will stop where I am at, its 5 oclock, so tomorrow begins with the table restructuring...

Ok. So I have normalized the database into three tables so far the best I know how.

Table 1 - tblTour
    Stores information about the logistics of the tour

Table 2 - tblProspect
    Stores information about the prospective student

Table 3 - tblNotes
    Stores the notes taken by the student inputters and the admissions officers.

Am I off in the right direction? And my guess is now my work is to begin redoing the form?

Oh wait, I think i need to somehow link those three tables mentioned above.... Is that done using relationships? If so, how is this procedure carried out? do i create the larger table to where the three will be linked, and build a relationship between the corresponding fields?

You can see my progress by downloading the most current file here: http://cid-9eda28db31e17672.office.l...px/Public?uc=1

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Can you provide the fields for the tables you created, similar to what I did in my previous post?

tblPeople
    -pkPeopleID primary key, autonumber
    -txtFName
    -txtLName

tblTours
    -pkTourID primary key, autonumber
    -txtTourName

tblTourPeople
    -pkTourPeopleID primary key, autonumber
    -fkTourID foreign key to tblTours
    -fkPeopleID foreign key to tblPeople

Based on the above, you can see that in tblTourPeople, I have a foreign key fkTourID which will join to pkTourID in tblTours. Similarly I have fkPeopleID in tblTourPeople that will join to pkPeopleID in tblPeople. You would create these relationships in the relationships window in Access by first adding the tables to the window and the, clicking on the "pk" of one table and dragging it to the corresponding "fk" in the related table.

I would hold off on forms until we have uncovered all of the relationships that might exist relative to the data you were trying to store in your reservation table. This will take some more time & analysis.

Regarding the notes table, having a separate table indicates that you will have many notes for each prospective student. If that is correct, you will need to have an fkPeopleID field in the notes table in order to join it back to the pkPeopleID of tblPeople.

you should be able to see the fields in the database i put online. as far as the notes go, there will be two types of notes taken, notes by students, and notes by admissions officers, would than be necessary for a dedicated table?

Since there are so many fields in the tables, i will kinda try to paraphrase, you should be able to get the jist of things i think. if not just give me a shout and I will clarify;

* = primary key

tblNotes
    -tourID *
    -notesOfficer
    -notesGeneral

tblProspect
    -tourID *
    -prospectFirstName
    -prospectLastName

tblTour
    -tourID *
    -tourDate
    -tourDay
    -tourTime

Then, I want to build a form that will have a tab control, and two tabs, one for General Input, and Officer Input that will allow inputters to place data into the tables. From there, I want to find a way to create a report from the current record, and print it off via the default printer (all with one button - i hope) split into two pages, one with General Input Data, and the second page with Officer Input Data.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.