Update with LEFT JOIN

Hello All,
    Just joined and this is my first post, so I hope this isn't a silly question.

I've been trying to figure out how to use VB to create a LEFT JOIN and perform an update on the results of the query.
    The join works fine and returns the data to my form as expected.

I will summarize in the hope that this is an obvious problem. Please let me know if I need more detail.

Set rs = db.OpenRecordset("SELECT .... ")
    rs.Edit
    rs!Blah = frm!txtBlah

rs.Update

The problem is that when I select a value to update that exists in the "right" table, it creates a second entry in the "left" table and never updates the "right" table.

I'm sorry if this is too vague, but is it even possible in Access to perform an update with a JOIN?

Thanks for any assistance!

I will elaborate.

I have a LEFT JOIN that is performed in the "After Update" property. It is filling a form that contains 4 fields from one table and 1 from another. When pressing the Update button on the form, the code uses an rs.Edit and rs.Update to modify the tables. Right now I am trying to perform this with 2 separate recordsets because it seems the LEFT JOIN wasn't working for me.
    I am doing a simple SELECT on the left table and filling the rs fields with the frm data. The problem is that it isn't updating the table, instead it is creating a new row. Is this because of the extra field on the form? I am not including it in the rs fields, so I'm not sure why this is happening.
    Thanks for any help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.