pedie is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Does access have multi user sharing & updating simultenously?

Hi, I'm new to access so please be gentle. I have no idea how access works but heard it can take in mad huge data as compared to excel.

Does access have multi user sharing & updating simultenously like excel?
    If so please suggest a link/video tutorial etc where i can learn the basics.

Thanks alot
    Pedie

I just went through this
    Last edited by pedie; 12-17-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: adding info

SteveF is offline Generally AccessAble
    Windows XP Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    How broadly do you want to share/update? If it's multiple workstations on a local network, no problem for up to about 10 simultaneous users. Beyond that number, it will still work but start to get sluggish -- you'll be starting to push it beyond its design limits.

The concept is as follows: Your "database" will have two parts. The "data" portion will be in a shared location on the network. All that will be in there are the tables that contain the data.

The "user" portion will have everything else -- queries, forms, reports, macros, VBA code -- needed to make things work. The user portion, or front-end, can have multiple copies, each sitting on every person's workstation. The front-end uses "linked tables" to connect to the back-end "data" portion.

When set up like this, Access can do exactly what you want, for many more records of data than Excel can handle.

Steve

pedie is offline Novice
    Steve, thanks alot for quick reply. Great to hear that it is possible...
    What i'm trying to create is something like...for an example like this forum using access as a site. Where user can view the question and post back to them accordinly.
    The thing is that in excel there can be lots of conflicts because there can be multiple user posting in same cell...

Please help me on how to go about it

Thanks again
    Pedie

My database will be in networkwork drive where different users can access this file....

pedie is offline Novice
    I tried inserting table but didnt work sorry

SteveF is offline Generally AccessAble
    Windows XP Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Different Animal entirely!

Quote Originally Posted by pedie View Post
    Steve, thanks alot for quick reply. Great to hear that it is possible...
    What i'm trying to create is something like...for an example like this forum using access as a site. Where user can view the question and post back to them accordinly.
    The thing is that in excel there can be lots of conflicts because there can be multiple user posting in same cell...

Please help me on how to go about it

Thanks again
    Pedie

My database will be in networkwork drive where different users can access this file....
    OK, time-out here! In my opinion, one thing Access would NOT be good for is what you describe here. You need a different piece of software entirely.

A class of software much better suited to what you're looking for is sometimes known as "collaboration software". Microsoft OneNote (available stand-alone and part of Office 2010) is one such example.

If you look up Microsoft OneNote on Wikipedia, part of the information there is a comparison with similar products, commercial and free, some of which are web-based. I think you'll be much better served by one of these than with Access.

Steve

pedie is offline Novice
    Steve, thanks again. I have no idea what onenote is but will definitely try checking it out...

Thanks again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.