perryc is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Popup not popup properly

So, I have a few forms that I tried to avoid using Model. Sequence of login the Database:
    1. Login Form (once login, hide in the background; visible=false)
    2. It brings up the MainMenu (which is a popup form; if I make this a popup form, ALL subsequent forms that it opens has to be popup as well? Otherwise it will stay on top of the other? Well, I did that and for 90% of the time, they all behave, however, there is 10% of the time, I think when the network is slow, FE and BE database btw, the new form that the MainMenu is trying to bring up will stay behind the MainMenu. Why? And How to prevent that?)

Thanks in advance,

Perry

perryc is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    BTW, if I take away the popup from the form, then, the form opens in max windows size, which I don't want to. I just want it to open in its window size, the dimension of the form.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by perryc View Post
    BTW, if I take away the popup from the form, then, the form opens in max windows size, which I don't want to. I just want it to open in its window size, the dimension of the form.
    Change your Access Options settings to use Overlapping Windows rather than Tabbed Documents
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

essaytee is offline Been around a while
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by perryc View Post
    So, I have a few forms that I tried to avoid using Model. Sequence of login the Database:
    ...snip...
    2. It brings up the MainMenu (which is a popup form; if I make this a popup form, ALL subsequent forms that it opens has to be popup as well? Otherwise it will stay on top of the other? Well, I did that and for 90% of the time, they all behave, however, there is 10% of the time, I think when the network is slow, FE and BE database btw, the new form that the MainMenu is trying to bring up will stay behind the MainMenu. Why? And How to prevent that?)
    ...snip...
    I would consider 'Popup' forms as special cases and only to be used when really needed. Making all your forms popup hampers your coding abilities, two that come to mind are the Activate and Focus events of the forms. These events are not activated, so whatever code you place in there, will never be triggered. I can't see why you can't use normal forms, as they will appear on top, have the focus, and ready for any data navigation or manipulation required when first opened. If you click on another open form, that form will get the focus and ready for data navigation/manipulation. Isn't that the behaviour you want.

Your other choice for forms and I usually apply this for the add/edit forms, open them in dialog mode, so no inadvertent clicking out of the form.

To answer your question directly regarding a 'Popup' form opening up behind your menu form and you believe due to a slow network. All I can think of is before the form is opened/loaded users click on the menu form. So what happens is, the form is opened, is on top, but because of the inpatient mouse clicks the menu form comes to the top. Just guessing, not sure if that is possible.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.