161 is offline L33t N00b
    Windows 2K Access 2003

Form help

Hello all,
    So I'm pretty new to access, and I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this to work.

I have data in tables, and I have a form connected to that data, so when the form is filled out, the table fills in.

From said data, I have a query that calculates some "other data".

I would like to display this "other data" in my form (which I will lock and grey out to prevent editing, just so the user can see the end result of what he is inputting).

I have tried using DLookup, but it only gives me a single value back for all of my records. I'm not sure if theres something I am missing with my relationships either.

Please haalp! and thank you in advance

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you may put the formula of calculations in textbox.
    e.g. if you have a textbox "Birthday" in you form, the create another textbox "Age", put formula "=date()-[birthday]" in textbox "Age". whenever Birthday changes, Age will change accordingly.

161 is offline L33t N00b
    Windows 2K Access 2003

='(

Quote Originally Posted by weekend00 View Post
    you may put the formula of calculations in textbox.
    e.g. if you have a textbox "Birthday" in you form, the create another textbox "Age", put formula "=date()-[birthday]" in textbox "Age". whenever Birthday changes, Age will change accordingly.
    Thanks for the quick response. This may make me sound like I know a lot more than I actually do, but I've actually used modules, iif statements, and reverse concatinate functions to find the values... I wish it was simple math .

Without getting into the functions, is there really no way to simply reference the query?

Edit: I feel I should also mention, I tried to use the query as the record source which solved that problem, since I could display all values in the query. However, it grey'd out my "create new entry" button on the form, which is even worse...

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    isn't it simple enough that just type the formula in the textbox? I don't know what is your calculation, if it's complicate, use a user-define-function.

161 is offline L33t N00b
    Windows 2K Access 2003
    Indeed it does work! abeit long and horrible-looking... Thanks!

If anyone finds that there is a more efficient way of doing this, keep me posted.

You could put a button on your main form, when pushed the main form would close and open a read only form based on your calculated query.
    When that form is closed it reopens the main form.

Richard

161 is offline L33t N00b
    Windows 2K Access 2003

Lightbulb Ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Access_Blaster View Post

You could put a button on your main form, when pushed the main form would close and open a read only form based on your calculated query.
    When that form is closed it reopens the main form.

Richard
    I really like the idea of this. I can find my way to the trigger fields, although im not sure how to open a read-only form for that particular entry, and make sure it would go back to that particular entry on close. Right now I have it set up to go to a new entry on open, would I have to sacrifice this?

Would it be possible to have a small read-only pop up form to supplement my main data entry form? Could I have it update as I move through the entries?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.