Ganymede is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Populate table with multiple records in one click event

I have a table that tracks jobs I receive from clients (jobs table). Each job has various tasks, which I track with a separate able (tasks table).

I have a third table from which I track billings (receivables table). When I bill clients, I bill for every task associated with a particular job at once. Each task is identical, so they are all billed at the same amount. However, my clients prefer separate invoices for each task.

I'm trying to write a code that will populate the receivables table with a separate row for each task so I can generate separate invoices from that. Each row would be almost identical with the exception of the invoice# and taskID. I'm hoping this can be done with the click of a command button.

Ideally, the receivables table would look like this.

There has to be some variety of the "Insert into" function that provides for this. But I can't quite figure out how to program it to populate rows on the receivables table commensurate with the number of tasks for a particular job.

Another obstacle I will face is generating the invoice number. Under my current system, the invoice number is generated by a form control that calculates the number of invoices billed within the year. Then it adds the month and year. For instance, 0216-040 means that this is invoice was created in February 2016, and it is the 40th invoice this year.

Lukael is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Each task is identical, so they are all billed at the same amount.
    I don't quite follow, I they are all same in amount, why bother to make table changes ? Just design a report that would show all tasks that are linked to that record - invoice in your case.

Maybe attaching sample would be a better idea.

Ganymede is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukael View Post
    I don't quite follow, I they are all same in amount, why bother to make table changes ? Just design a report that would show all tasks that are linked to that record - invoice in your case.

Maybe attaching sample would be a better idea.
    I'd be happy to attach a sample. I'll work on that today. But as I said, my clients prefer receiving separate invoices for each task. So consolidating all tasks onto a single report won't cut it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.