Amyfb is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365

Duplicate db structure only - Oracle application - possible? practical?

I want to use my Oracle ERP Application to manage a second company, separate and distinct. I don't need any data, just the tables and relationships exactly the same.

My initial thought was that I could simply restore a backup of the current db on a different server. But I've been bit by things that seemed easy, and haven't tried that yet. Then I imagine it is just a bit of standard SQL code, but then remember there are a thousand or more tables ....and I know just enough to know I don't know nearly enough about the things that matter.

Our dba will be sending a quote to me and I'm interested in what any of you can say about what I should expect in terms of "possible, practical, and cost effective" options to achieve my goals.

thanks in advance for your input.

rgds
    Amyfb

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Most important thing I can think of is, if the db is split and you copy fe and be to another server and delete all data from the be tables BUT you forget to change the linked table paths in your copy, it is quite possible to delete all data from the original be tables. Less chance if on a separate server that has no exposure to the original one, but definitely possible if you copy to a different directory on the same server. When there is no such exposure, the worst you'd likely get is a message saying that the linked table cannot be found when you try to view it.

Might be best to open new db's and import all to it. In the options, import structure only, not data.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Amyfb is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Most important thing I can think of is, if the db is split and you copy fe and be to another server and delete all data from the be tables BUT you forget to change the linked table paths in your copy, it is quite possible to delete all data from the original be tables. Less chance if on a separate server that has no exposure to the original one, but definitely possible if you copy to a different directory on the same server. When there is no such exposure, the worst you'd likely get is a message saying that the linked table cannot be found when you try to view it.

Might be best to open new db's and import all to it. In the options, import structure only, not data.
    My DBA says that some of the data is necessary to configure a duplicate of the structure and that it means a bunch of unwinding things before duplicating it. That's my best summary of all he said to me. Sounds related to what you're saying.

I'm trying to use existing resources first because we own them and everyone knows how the software works so we eliminate a learning curve.
    There's a few months before I'll be up against a wall on this.

thanks for your thoughts.

rgds
    Amyfb

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    He may be referring to application level data such as stored file paths, custom db settings and so on. Sounds like you have a person resource that will be able to help you. Good luck!
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.