warlock916 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

DB Design starting first model , with Matrix data from Excel

Hello everybody,

I'm willing to move a usefull file excel in to access in order to have report and everything else.

As you can see the excel file is based on two sheets (figure 1.jpg and 2.jpg).

The sheet2(foglio2) has all the main data, but the data on column "F" are calculated by this formula "=CERCA.VERT(D2;Foglio1!$A$2:$D$25;CONFRONTA(E2;Fo glio1!$A$2:$D$2;0);0)" (sorry is in italian excel) based on the values that are on sheet1 (foglio1). Like in a matrix system , if you have 2 values the file returns the 3°.

I have create my tables and my relation figure 4.jpg but my first query already is ambiugous and doesn't run.

So i think my normalization needs same help.

Thanks in advice.

Alessandro
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4.jpg   2.jpg   1.jpg  

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    The query that is giving you trouble, what is supposed to do, what is it actually doing (any error messages, or pulling wrong data, etc.), and can you post the SQL of the query.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Hello Nick, thanks for the reply.

You are right I missed to specify.

The query should create a table as is in excel.

The Code:
    SELECT TblAbnormalities.IDAnomaly, TblAbnormalities.Site_FK, TblAbnormalities.DocumentID, TblAbnormalities.DateOpen, TblAbnormalities.Process_FK, TblAbnormalities.Norm_FK, TblDotNorm.NomePtoNorma, TblAbnormalities.DateofClose, TblAbnormalities.Status
    FROM TblSite INNER JOIN (((TblNorm RIGHT JOIN TblAbnormalities ON TblNorm.IDNorma = TblAbnormalities.Norm_FK) INNER JOIN TblProcess ON (TblProcess.IDProcesso = TblAbnormalities.Process_FK) AND (TblNorm.IDNorma = TblProcess.IDNorma_FK)) INNER JOIN (TblDotNorm INNER JOIN TblJoinProcessDotNorm ON TblDotNorm.IDPtoNorma = TblJoinProcessDotNorm.IDPtoNorma_FK) ON TblProcess.IDProcesso = TblJoinProcessDotNorm.IDProcesso_FK) ON TblSite.IDSiti = TblAbnormalities.Site_FK;

but Access replies that there are ambigous inner join.

Thank you.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I have modify one relation as in picture 11.jpg and now the query works but the result is missing some entries (12.jpg) respect of the excel file.

The Query code is :
    SELECT TblAbnormalities.Site_FK, TblAbnormalities.DocumentID, TblAbnormalities.DateOpen, TblAbnormalities.Process_FK, TblAbnormalities.Norm_FK, TblDotNorm.NomePtoNorma, TblAbnormalities.Status
    FROM TblSite INNER JOIN (TblDotNorm INNER JOIN (((TblNorm INNER JOIN TblProcess ON TblNorm.IDNorma = TblProcess.IDNorma_FK) INNER JOIN TblAbnormalities ON (TblProcess.IDProcesso = TblAbnormalities.Process_FK) AND (TblNorm.IDNorma = TblAbnormalities.Norm_FK)) INNER JOIN TblJoinProcessDotNorm ON TblProcess.IDProcesso = TblJoinProcessDotNorm.IDProcesso_FK) ON TblDotNorm.IDPtoNorma = TblJoinProcessDotNorm.IDPtoNorma_FK) ON TblSite.IDSiti = TblAbnormalities.Site_FK;

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 12.jpg   11.jpg  

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    TblNorm should not link to both TblAbnormalities and TblProcess.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

nick404 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I don't think you need a Norm_FK field in your tblAbnormalities if you relate tblAbnormalities -> tblProcess (by process ID). And tblProcess is related to tblNorm (by norm ID), then tblAbnormalities is related to tblNorm by transitivity. The sql looks fine to me (not an sql expert by any means), if you fix this structural error see if your problem persists.

Windows 8 Access 2013

Solved

Quote Originally Posted by nick404 View Post
    I don't think you need a Norm_FK field in your tblAbnormalities if you relate tblAbnormalities -> tblProcess (by process ID). And tblProcess is related to tblNorm (by norm ID), then tblAbnormalities is related to tblNorm by transitivity. The sql looks fine to me (not an sql expert by any means), if you fix this structural error see if your problem persists.
    Many Thanks Nic

It works fine!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.