jondavidf is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Combo box - Forms vs. Tables

Hey all,

I'm trying to get a combo box to display one value (Race) on a form but display another value (RaceID) in the underlying table, with both Race and RaceID tied to the combo box. This is the setup for the part of the database I'm working on:

Table 1 = tblPtMain - This table has general demographic info about patients, including the field Race. I used the LookUp Wizard (Combo Box) to select the RaceID and Race from tblLstRace.
    Table 2 = tblLstRace - This table has two fields - RaceID and Race.
    Form 1 = frmPtMain - This is a data entry form where users will enter the demographic info including Race, via a Combo Box.

I would like the FORM to display the Race field as the actual race, but the TABLE to display the race field as the ID. I've tried changing the "Row Source" order and the "Bound Column" in both properties but I end up saving the actual race in both the form and the table. See images below.

Attached images are:

1 - Race Field properties from the table tblPtMain.
    2 - Partial form view with combo box from the form frmPtMain.
    3 - Race field properties from the form frmPtMain

I have several other fields that I'm trying to do the same thing with. I've gotten most of them to work the way I want, but after much trial and error and no straight-forward method to the madness. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard, and I was hoping you may have a simple solution that I could do most every time that would work.

Thanks!

Jon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaptureTblPtMain - Race Field Properties.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	10.0 KB 
ID:	36803Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaptureFrmPtMain - Race Field.PNG 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	36804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CaptureFrmPtMain - Race Field Properties.PNG 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	36805

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The bound column should be RaceID and should be the first column and normally hidden.
    So you see the description field but store the ID value.
    Normally you would use an autonumber for the ID field. Values 01, 02 etc indicate the use of a text field.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

June7 is offline VIP
    RowSource: SELECT RaceID, Race FROM tblLstRace ORDER BY RaceID;
    ColumnWidths: 0";2"

I NEVER build lookups in tables. http://access.mvps.org/Access/lookupfields.htm
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks! I prefer to hide it as well, but I think my boss has trust issues when she can’t see the ID field 🤪. I may just try to readdress with her. I think it would make things simpler.

One question, though, if I extract the table data to an excel sheet will it extract RaceID or Race if I hide the ID as you suggest? The end game is that all data will be extracted from Access and imported into SPSS for analysis. My boss just wants the codes (like RaceID) for import into SPSS. Thanks again!

June7 is offline VIP
    It will export the alias Race value if lookup is built in table.

These RaceID values have meaning to users? Are these RaceID values required for some sort of reporting requirements? Should they really be considered a code value (such as ZipCode, SSN, etc) and not just simply a PK/FK record link (which could easily be accomplished with autonumber type)?

Can have a textbox that is also bound to tblPtMain field to display the RaceID. Whether or not textbox is locked or allows edit is your decision.

Recommend avoid using exact same field names in multiple tables. A common convention is to use a suffix of PK and FK: RaceID_PK, RaceID_FK
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

The ID codes are what is desired for export, and there are several other fields in the database that will also have ID codes. They do not represent anything other than the associated field (e.g. 0 = “No”; 1 = “Yes”; 99 = “No Data”; or 0 = “Male”; 1 = “Female”; etc.). They are used primarily to shorten the amount of text space used and increase the ability to manipulate data when exporting from Access to Excel and importing into SPSS (statistical software). The final spreadsheet imported will probably have about 300 columns and 1000 rows for SPSS to analyze so any reduction in size and ease of data manipulation will be beneficial.

Thanks again for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    RowSource: SELECT RaceID, Race FROM tblLstRace ORDER BY RaceID;
    ColumnWidths: 0";2"
    I NEVER build lookups in tables. http://access.mvps.org/Access/lookupfields.htm
    Me neither because of all the confusion these create

It will export the alias Race value if lookup is built in table.
    Sorry but that's not true.
    The table DISPLAYS the Race field but STORES the RaceID field
    If exported, it exports the field that is saved - the RaceID field.

I've just rechecked as its several years since I last used this idea.
    So whilst I wouldn't use lookup fields at table level, that will give what the OP wants here!
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

June7 is offline VIP
    Before I made that statement, I tested exporting a table with lookups (not the Lookup data type, just number field formatting for combobox) with the export wizard to Excel. The alias values were exported, not the ID. However, just realized I checked "export with formatting and layout". So I tested again and did not check that and this time the ID's exported, not the alias values.

So we are both right

And OP wants the RaceID, not the Race descriptor - so not using lookups in table will serve just fine.

If you really want to reduce bits output, then make RaceID a number type field instead of text. You can always format for display with leading zero.

Could you expand on what you do instead of lookup tables? Thanks!

June7 is offline VIP
    The lookup tables are not eliminated, lookup fields are. Still build lookup tables, just don't build lookup fields in other tables that reference the lookup tables.

Build comboboxes (or listboxes) on forms, instead of setting combobox/listbox properties for field in table.
    Last edited by June7; 01-06-2019 at 05:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Before I made that statement, I tested exporting a table with lookups (not the Lookup data type, just number field formatting for combobox) with the export wizard to Excel. The alias values were exported, not the ID. However, just realized I checked "export with formatting and layout". So I tested again and did not check that and this time the ID's exported, not the alias values.

So we are both right
    I see what you mean. Well I never knew that!
    However the fact that ticking a box on the export wizard gives different results just adds to the confusion table level lookups cause in my view
    One more reason to add to the evils of table lookup fields

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.