JoeJr is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

How can I make this work schedule in Access???

Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is possible but at my work we use excel to create our schedule for work, schools, appointments etc. I would like to take that same schedule, layout and color codes and place it into access. The colors I can get but I just don't know how to go about mimic the document in access. If anyone one has a template that wouldn't mind sharing would be so great! or any help would be great to. Attach is an example of our schedule that is blank.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Awesome!!! This pointed me in the right direction!

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Dumb question time.
    Excel is for spreadsheets, complex calculations and is great at charting and is good for data that is wide (goes from right to left).
    Outlook is for tasks, email, appointments and scheduling.
    Access is for relational data storage and mining and works best when data is vertical.

If you have something that works in Excel why on earth would you replicate it in a relational database?

I have seen something for Access that is like an Outlook calendar, but that's not what you seem to want - otherwise I'd post a copy for you.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    Dumb question time.
    Excel is for spreadsheets, complex calculations and is great at charting and is good for data that is wide (goes from right to left).
    Outlook is for tasks, email, appointments and scheduling.
    Access is for relational data storage and mining and works best when data is vertical.

If you have something that works in Excel why on earth would you replicate it in a relational database?

I have seen something for Access that is like an Outlook calendar, but that's not what you seem to want - otherwise I'd post a copy for you.
    Thanks for the response. I know what you mean. In my mind I would like a one stop shop to do all admin actions for our employees to include creating a work schedule that in inside access. I know that may sound far out there and that just stick to excel for that but I am trying to get my guys away from using so many excel documents and have a access program that can do all of it. The database already holds all the employees and which teams they are on. If I could get access to spit out the work schedule based on the layout that I provided would be awesome.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Data is stored in normalized structure then manipulated for presentation in a Gantt matrix. Normalized data can serve for other more conventional outputs as well. I see no problem with having Access accomplish all.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I see no problem with having Access accomplish all.
    I would be impressed if you could replicate that spreadsheet "no problem" because that's what's being asked for - not a Gantt chart. You should have it done by dinner tomorrow, I guess.

The pretty picture in attached Excel workbook will obviously be an Access report (user selects a month, clicks on button, and a report is displayed/printed). How the data, needed to create this report, is got, remains a guess yet.

Probably you need:
    A table for teams;
    A table for persons (in case person never can switch the team, you can have a field for team ID here too and skip the next table);
    A table for persons attachments to teams with start date;
    A table for persons schedules (here are scheduled all actions attached to person specifically, like leaves, medical treatments, trainings etc. When schedule report is generated, those override actions determined by team schedule);
    A table for teams schedules (here are scheduled all actions attached to all team members in case the member doesn't have something registered in persons schedule for same period).

Last 2 tables are populated either manually in advance, or by code following certain predefined rules (obviously this option is applicable for teams schedules only).

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ArviLaanemets View Post
    The pretty picture in attached Excel workbook will obviously be an Access report (user selects a month, clicks on button, and a report is displayed/printed). How the data, needed to create this report, is got, remains a guess yet.

Probably you need:
    A table for teams;
    A table for persons (in case person never can switch the team, you can have a field for team ID here too and skip the next table);
    A table for persons attachments to teams with start date;
    A table for persons schedules (here are scheduled all actions attached to person specifically, like leaves, medical treatments, trainings etc. When schedule report is generated, those override actions determined by team schedule);
    A table for teams schedules (here are scheduled all actions attached to all team members in case the member doesn't have something registered in persons schedule for same period).

Last 2 tables are populated either manually in advance, or by code following certain predefined rules (obviously this option is applicable for teams schedules only).

I agree with that process. The link that was provided to a bus Schedule layout example is what I am looking for. Now that see the layout in the example I have started working on it. I will add more to it so that funtionality is what I am looking. I will provide a copy of it when its complete. I know I will be responding back to this section for questions I may have if I run into a snag.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.