daddylongtoe is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question Generating split reports

Hi

I have designed a basic database used for recording items ordered and generating a purchase order/report to send to suppliers.

At the moment you enter the specific supplier on a form then enter the items you want to order with the desired quantity in a subform. The products are called from a separate table where they have been previously stored with price and supplier as fields in the table. The report then creates a purchase order for the specified supplier with the items listed in the sub-form - simples.

The problem I am facing is that it's fine for me to use as I know which products come from which suppliers, but for other staff it's not so obvious.

What I want to devise is a form where the user can select all desired products in one form, irrelevant of which supplier they come from, then they can generate a report which will create a separate report/purchase order based on what supplier reference is recorded against the product.

I've looked at grouping, but I'm not having much success generating a suitable report. Is this the best way to go or should I be considering some VBA coding?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Please ask if you need any more details/clarification of my current system or what I'm trying to achieve.

Thanks

Steve

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    well you need to have a products table, and a supplier table - and a relationship between the two; so that a supplier ID value must be in each record of the products table....because of course every product has a supplier.

one selects the product - one is defacto selecting the supplier - because their ID must be in the product record - - and so it is easy to report the supplier info too.

At this level it should be straight forward for you. It gets trickier when you have more than one supplier (which is often the case).

Comprende?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.