Restrict form access to certain people

Hello, I am trying to figure out how to make a form read-only for certain indidivudals. I work for a state agency and we have a database that my unit uses. It has about 8,000 forms saved in it. We have members of the public coming into our office and I want to make these forms available to them at a computer terminal so they can search them but I don't want them to be able to edit them.

The public uses a specific log-in for Windows XP and specific computers so if it can be tied to either of those things that would be great. But the file needs to be remain open to editing for staff and needs to update in real time as staff add new pages to the form.

I'm using Access 2003 SP3.

I hate to admit it but I do not know Access very well as I only began using it a few months ago so your patience is much appreciated!

When you say you have 8000 forms, do you mean you have a form that is used to view/edit 8000 records?

Based on the size of you database, I imagine that you have a front end / back end set-up. If you do, make a copy of your front end with a different name, change the form property so that edits are not allowed, and put only that front end on the public access computer.

Staff members would still use the old front end and have edit rights.

If you don't know about "Front end, back end" set ups, search for "split database" in help. It is easy to split a database, so even if it is not split, you should be able to do it.

Good luck!
    Last edited by K-Squared; 06-07-2008 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Additional information

Yes, indeed we have the same form but 8000 records.

This sounds like what I'm trying to do. I will try this out. Thank you very much for the help!!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.