DrCreosote is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Student Information Systems

I'm working with a startup online college and we are in the first phases. We have acquired an open source SIS program that is very displeasing to us and are looking for an alternative. I want to know if Access is capable of handling this. I've already started putting it together just to see if I got all the elements in place, but my colleagues have some concerns that Access is not robust enough. We don't really want to reinvent the wheel, but as budget goes, it looks like if we want it our way, we have to build it that way.

DC

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCreosote View Post
    my colleagues have some concerns that Access is not robust enough.
    They couldn't be more right! IMO, Access is absolutely not the program to use with an organization as large as a college. Now...with that said, a large number of organizations do use Access as a display tool, but it is only used as a front end. It simply does not have the power to work with all of the data that you will eventually need to store and analyze, unless of course your college only brings in 100 students a year. This is right inline with MS Office as the programs that come with it are really meant for small business people to use as a 'whole'. As far as I know, that's MS's 'bread and butter' market.

Access is at its very best when it is used with sql server or other online data systems. Many people use sql server with Access simply because they are both supported by Microsoft. Another IMO, that's a mistake. It's supposed to be easier that way, but many find out that it's not so easy. Microsoft is like any other company, sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I think what you'll find is that every system has something to offer you that's distinguishable from the others. Another thing to note though is that you might get better support with MS technology than you would with another system like mySql. mySql is free to use for anyone really, but the support for it is basically 'learn it yourself'.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.