nimalp is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Help with designing database

Hi All,

Firstoff, sorry if I sound like an extreme beginner, I have had experience grabbing stuff from access and sql database, but never building one..

If someone can help with just something general or even a link to a place on the web that would be helpful, here is what I want to build...

I worked at an office years ago, where we utilized Access, and whenver I opened it the report (?) it asked me for information such as: Date, Number of Tickets, etc. and then created a report based on that.

What I want to do, is to create something similar, but to make it a bit more complex in that the database would be able to do calculations, as an easy way to manage my expenses.....

Just something like: Date, Cash Spent today, Cash deposited in bank account, Checks received today, Checks written today. And then maybe a report being displayed stating: Cash to deposit or something to that effect.

Is it possible to do the above? Also, is it possible for the calculation to look at all the records in the entire table to keep a running history so that I easily do this?

Please let me know if I am not being clear. I am trying to do this for a small business I have, and hoping that I can make this user friendly enough so that even someone who doesnt know much about computers can simply open Access, punch how much they spent, how much they deposited and get a result.

Thanks, any help would be appreciated.

thekruser is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    With Access, anything is possible. If I were you, I would read up on normalization before I even begin trying to build a database. The wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization) contains a lot of excellent information.

After that, start to create your tables based on your model and the end-state you are trying to achieve, adding the fields to the tables that make sense. Then, build forms (the GUI for the user to enter the information into the tables).

All calculations should be done in queries. Then reports can be generated from these queries.

There is a plethora of information on Access in this forum as well as others. Before you start, you need to do as much reading as possible.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by thekruser View Post
    With Access, anything is possible.
    Can you read PHP code generated by a webpage from Access?

DaveT is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    There are ton of books on Access. If you're running 2007, then I recommend Access 2007 Inside Out (Viescas/Conrad) and Building Microsoft Access Applications (Viescas).

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    Ok...perhaps I should not have been so vague. Not EVERYTHING is possible with Access. I cannot get it to fix my transmission, either.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ajetrumpet View Post
    And, generally speaking, a webpage is rendered by reading .php. Webpages don't usually generate their own code.

ajetrumpet is offline VIP
    Ok...perhaps I should not have been so vague. Not EVERYTHING is possible with Access. I cannot get it to fix my transmission, either.
    I just wanted to do that to you because I have regretted it in the past for saying that to a customer.

And, generally speaking, a webpage is rendered by reading .php. Webpages don't usually generate their own code.
    I KNEW IT. What do you want me to say? A server is different than a webpage? Thanks for the fun!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.