broecher is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2000

Angry data type mismatch in criteria expression

I am trying to query by date and I keep getting this error (data type mismatch in criteria expression). I have read a lot of posts about date format and I don't see any problems with that. I think it might not like something about the way the date was created in another query possibly.

The original date format was not recognizable by access: "Wed Jan 20 21:01:31 2010". I used a long and drawn out expression that converts Jan to 01, and extracted the day, year, etc into their own fields. Then I used DateSerial to put the numbers back together into "01/20/2010".

In another query, I reference this reconstructed date and it displays correctly. But when I try to show records after a certain date using Criteria in design mode, for example >#08/08/2010# , I get the error.

After changing the format several times in both this query and the other referenced queries, I tried something else. I converted the dates to numbers, expr1: CDbl([Date]) . Now I have just numbers like 40427. They appear right justified like a number should. I try to show records after a certain number, for example >40000 , I get the same error...

When I go back to the original query that constructs this date, I cannot use any criteria on the date here either. Here I get a different error. It says Enter Parameter Value for my month field which is the super long IIf expression. This probably doesnt matter, but if I enter a value, the querry does display for a momment, then I get the original error message and the query turns into all #name?

Then when I try to add Criteria to the field with the month expression, I get an expression too complex error.

Any suggestions at what I should do differently?

Here is the month expression:

fxMonth: IIf(Left((Right([first fix LMT],20)),3)="Jan",1,IIf(Left((Right([first fix LMT],20)),3)="Feb",2,IIf(Left((Right([first fix LMT],20)),3)="Mar",3,IIf(Left((Right([first fix LMT],20)),3)="Apr",4,IIf(Left((Right([first fix LMT],20)),3)="May",5,IIf(Left((Right([first fix LMT],20)),3)="Jun",6,IIf(Left((Right([first fix LMT],20)),3)="Jul",7,IIf(Left((Right([first fix LMT],20)),3)="Aug",8,IIf(Left((Right([first fix .............
    Last edited by broecher; 09-09-2010 at 02:06 PM. Reason: aditional info

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you were trying to compare a string/text with a date. That's why Access told you (data type mismatch in criteria expression).

it's not very long to convert "Wed Jan 20 21:01:31 2010" into a date, you don't need to convert Jan to 01:
    cdate(mid(fieldname,5,7)+right(fieldname,4))

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows XP Access 2000
    From what you've said, it sounds like either:

• Your data isn't in an actual Date/Time format (maybe it's stored as Text and just looks like a date?), or
    • The data is being pulled from a Query (yes, you can base a Query off of another Query) that is converting the field to another format.

If you have the first problem:
    I'd STRONGLY recommend changing the format in your Table to an actual Date/Time Format. This makes things MUCH easier to Calculate or to Filter off of.

If you have the second problem:
    In any query where you modify the date, make sure to use either Access's builtin Date functions (DateDiff, DateSerial, DatePart, etc) or enclose it in DateValue (example DateValue(<Expression here>)).

If you still can't figure out the source of your problem, just post the Table's format and your Query here and we'll be happy to take a look at it.

EDIT: Or you can just use DateValue(Format([Fieldname], "Short Date")). Access should be able to convert just about any Date format for you automatically.
    Last edited by Rawb; 09-09-2010 at 02:10 PM. Reason: lol simultaneous posts!

broecher is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2000

Smile

Thanks a million!
    I used
    cdate(mid(fieldname,5,7)+right(fieldname,4))
    I don't know a lot of this syntax yet so this was a big help.

After replacing the long expression, I got an invalid use of null. I realized that the criteria I was attempting to use was being applied to records that were hidden but contained an error. I used an IIf to fix that problem:

correctedDate: IIf([fieldX] Is Null,0,CDate(Mid([originalDate]![first fix LMT],5,7)+Right([originalDate]![first fix LMT],4)))

Now all those hidden rows say 12/30/1899, but they are hidden so I am happy...

weekend00 is offline I may not be right
    Windows XP Access 2003
    We are all happy that you can work it out.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.