Update dates for multiple (not all) records

What I have:

tblTRAINING_DATA
    -TrainingID (PK)
    -EmployeeNumber (FK)
    -CourseID (FK)
    -Date

What I am trying to do:

If I have a group of 50 people who attend a course, I want to be able to update the corresponding records in the table.

The problem:

Currently, I have a form with a datasheet subform in which I have to navigate to the appropriate employee, find the appropriate record in the subform (quite the daunting task with the amount of courses there are), and then update it. Then I have to go to the next person's record and repeat the process.

There must be a more efficient way. I have thought of an update query, but can't figure out how to select specific employees to apply the changes to.

Thank you in advance for your time and help. Have a nice day.

TheShabz is offline Court Jester
    Windows XP Access 2003
    As I understand you have a table with EmpNums and you want to search it for a specific employee and update some column with the course info.

create a textbox in the main form where you will enter the EmployeeNumber. Then in the query for your subform, add in WHERE EmployeeNumber = Forms!formName!txtEmpNo. Then have the subform requery in the afterUpdate property of the textbox.

thekruser is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I semi-understand what you are saying, but not completely. My vision is to have a button on my switchboard for updating course information. When the button is clicked, it will open a form with:

Combobox (listing all the courses from tblTRNG_COURSES)
    Date box (user will enter the date the course completed)
    'Go' Button

When the button is clicked another form will open allowing the user to check a box next to the name of the employee completing the course. Once all employees are selected, the user will click a 'Save' button that will update all records in tblTRNG_DATA.

If updating is an issue, I am not opposed to appending the table, thus creating historical data. The forms are not a problem, I can do those. I am just at a loss as to how to get the series to work and update/append the appropriate table.

Thank you for your time and help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.