ahuffman24 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Linking two forms for new data entry

Hi,

I am using Microsoft Access 2016. I have a form that allows users to enter information about a customer order. Each order has various numbers of items, and each of those items can be prdered in quantities of 1 or more. Each item that is ordered also gets an assigned serial number for each quantity ordered (for example, if three of item 1 is ordered, then there are 3 serial numbers linked to that item, one serial number for each order of item 1). My main form (Customer Order Information) has basic customer information boxes that the user can fill as desired (shown below).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Customer Order Add Item.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	38464

If the user needs to add another item to the order, they click the "add another item" button, and another form (Add Item Form) pops up (shown below):

Name:	Add Item Form.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	38465

Ideally, this would allow the user to enter another item and the serial numbers corresponding with it. However, this Add Item Form does not seem to be linked to the information entered in the original Customer Order Information form. As you can see in my tables (Customer Order Info Table and Inspection Table), item 2 does not show up in the Customer Order Info Table. In the Inspection Table, item 2 appears, but it does not have the order number, customer name, etc next to it, and it also puts the serial numbers on the next line (shown below).

(Customer Order Info Table)

Name:	Customer Order Info  Table.jpg 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	38468

(Inspection Table)

Name:	Inspection Table.jpg 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	38469

My question is, how can I link the Add Item Form to the Customer Order Information form so that when a new item is added, it is entered into my tables under one order?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Test Table.png  

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Please ignore the last image that was attached at the end of my post. That should not have been there

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why open a popup form? The first form has the same fields. Just move to a new record row. User just has to click on the new record row instead of clicking button.

If you want auto-increment the Item Number for each Order, that will require VBA. Where is the foreign key field for the Order ID?

Not really understanding data structure.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @June7, what do you mean by "just move to a new record row?"

Hi

A bit baffled by your problem.

If you have a Main Form to display the Customer information and a Subform to enter Orders for the Customer you do not need a popup form to do data input for a new Item.
    You would normally just add a new item in the Blank Row shown below the Last Item Entered?

This is what June7 is referring to.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ah okay I understand now. Thanks!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.