FriQenstein is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Report from Query asking for Fields that don't exist

Greetings all,

I've been tasked with modifying our DB a bit to add in another search feature for another set of equipment in our inventory.

First off, everything is pulled from one main table: Full_Inv

Initially, I did like I always do... I copied an existing Query, Form & Report and edited them accordingly so they would reflect the new items.

OK, after copying and editing the Q, F & R, I view it to see how it's going. Broken. It's still got some hidden link to a previous Query for other equipment. I have edited EVERYTHING that I normally do step-by-step just as I have have done previously and it is still asking for the wrong data from the Query.

So, I nuke those copies and generate new ones from scratch. This time, it actually halfway works, but I still get that stupid Query popup window asking for a field which is NOWHERE in my Query search or ANY of my other docs. It's asking for Full_Inv.Id .... WHY?

I'm not using the ID for anything in the searches. Why on earth would it be asking for a field which was not even added to the Query criteria in the first place?

So I nuked that report and this time made sure I had my Query highlighted, clicked Report Wizard (again), selected the correct query from the drop down list (again) and done... same results. Still asking for Full_Inv.Id (attached PNGs)

I can upload whatever, but this is just annoying. I haven't done anything different than the previous times. Once I got the sequence down when building this DB, I wrote down all of my steps that I went through to create each Form, Query, Report, etc.
    I follow it verbatim and have done so since the initial creation of this DB... and now for some reason it just doesn't want to do anything correctly.

Below are some snapshots of my Query, Report and the popup window asking for crap that doesn't exist. As you'll see, there is nothing in there pertaining to the ID field, so I'm at a loss as to why it would even try to ask for something that hasn't even been specified in the criteria.

Please advise.
    Regards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Access_Query Error_001.png   Access_Query Error_002.png   Access_Query Error_003.png  

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Do you get the prompt running the query by itself? I'm assuming not, and that there's something in the report looking for it. It can hide in Group & Sort or in the filter/order properties of the report.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Do you use Lookup fields in tables?

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    Do you get the prompt running the query by itself? I'm assuming not, and that there's something in the report looking for it. It can hide in Group & Sort or in the filter/order properties of the report.
    Actually, I was testing that right as the replies came in. No, when running the Query by itself, it doesn't seem to have the issue.

When I view the Report, which pulls from the Query, that's when I get the issue... which tells me that something is fubar in the Report. Only I can't seem to find out what/why/where. I've rebuilt it from scratch and from copies and I get 2 different issues... which is why I was originally assuming the problem was with the Report but couldn't confirm it.

Going to nuke the Report once again and try to do it all manually... which I hate, because that defeats the whole purpose of a Copy/Paste function of a computer.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Did you look in Group & Sort and the properties I mentioned?
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Did you look in Group & Sort and the properties I mentioned?
    I missed that part of the post previously.
    I just checked the Group & Sort and yes... there it was. Freaking ID tag sitting there pulled from somewhere in the ether and just magically appeared.

This is what I don't understand about Access. I can be doing this for months on end with no issues... then all of a sudden, weird stuff like this happens for no reason that I can ascertain. I'm at the point where I'm ready to trash Access and just go with a simple standard SQL DB.

At any rate...
    Many thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. This was causing my Friday to seem like a Monday, and after the week I've just had, that would have been very bad for this computer.

Regards.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Happy to help! I suspect that the report you copied had it there, and that is was valid for that report. I haven't experienced something like that just appearing.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Happy to help! I suspect that the report you copied had it there, and that is was valid for that report. I haven't experienced something like that just appearing.
    That is definitely a possibility. Though I don't use the ID field in any of my stuff with this DB so far, so that's why I'm uncertain why it's even in the old one. I guess it just defaults upon initial creation... however that still doesn't explain why it would work for one Query/Report and not another given it being copied vs. new from scratch.

At any rate, thanks again.
    + Rep given.

Windows XP Access 2007
    The report it worked on had to have had that field in the record source. I wouldn't say it would add a group field by default in the initial creation, unless the creator used the report wizard and answered appropriately when it asked about grouping.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.