Chevy757IT is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Expression query not working

I have a database to track a very intensive qualification process.
    I have 3 tables

UserDataTBL - has userid, last name, first name, etc...

QualItemListTBL - Has a list of sections in the qualification process - QualID, Qual Item

QualTrackerTBL - Where you choose the user and what sections of the qualification they have completed. - TrackerID, UserID, QualID

What I am trying to do is create a query to calculate the percentage of completion of the qualification. I kind of have it working with the below expression:

Percentage: Count([QualTrackerTBL].[UserID])/(SELECT COUNT([QualItemListTBL].[Qual Item]) FROM [QualItemListTBL])

Here is the SQL statement:

SELECT UserDataTBL.Dept, UserDataTBL.Rate, UserDataTBL.[Last Name], Count([QualTrackerTBL].[UserID])/(SELECT COUNT([QualItemListTBL].[Qual Item]) FROM [QualItemListTBL]) AS Percentage
    FROM UserDataTBL LEFT JOIN QualTrackerTBL ON UserDataTBL.UserID = QualTrackerTBL.[UserID]
    GROUP BY UserDataTBL.Dept, UserDataTBL.Rate, UserDataTBL.[Last Name], UserDataTBL.Qualified
    HAVING (((SailorDataTBL.Qualified)=False));

This works on the first person in the list it will give the correct decimal number but all the other users it gives whole number answers as well. So I have one person who has only 3 sections of the 43 completed and it says they are like 4.65116279069767E-02 which isn't correct. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Your sub query counting QualItemListTBL].[Qual Item] isn't joined to anything so you'll get the same count for each record.
    I'm pretty sure that isn't what you want.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

But I am not getting the same count for each record. They are linked in the database the Qual Item = QualItemID with a one to many relationship.

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy757IT View Post
    But I am not getting the same count for each record. They are linked in the database the Qual Item = QualItemID with a one to many relationship.
    Not in the sub query they aren't. The bit in red below isn't joined to anything.

Humour me add (SELECT COUNT([QualItemListTBL].[Qual Item]) FROM [QualItemListTBL]) as MyCount as another field in your query and see what you get.
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why does the HAVING clause reference SailorDataTBL?

Shouldn't the subquery just return total record count for QualItemListTBL?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

the SailorData is my bad typo on my end it is UserDataTBL. If I add the QualItemListTBL to the query I get:

"The SQL statement could not be executed because it contains ambiguous outer joins. To force one of the joins to be performed first, create a separate query that performs the first join and then include that query in your SQL statement."

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I didn't say to add the table, just re-add your sub query again, without doing the calculation.
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I attempted to replicate your tables and data. 1 user has 3 of 43 items. Ran the query and it calcs 6.97674418604651E-02 which is correct percentage.

If you want to provide your db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

For start try a basic query
    Code:
    SELECT qt.UserID, COUNT(qt.[UserID])/(SELECT COUNT([QualItemListTBL].[Qual Item]) FROM [QualItemListTBL]) AS Percentage
     FROM  QualTrackerTBL qt
     GROUP BY qt.UserID;
    Check what you get. When this is OK, then add UserDataTBL and set join conditions, but don't add any fields jet. This query must return exactly same result table as basic query.

The next step, set the filter condition (either using HAVING or WHERE). Users having qualification finished must be left out from result table.

As final step, add additional fields from table UserDataTBL, and add those into WHERE clause too.

With such approach, you can determine at which step your data get wrong (or don't get wrong).

I am an idiot and I forgot E- at the end for the conversion. I am soooo sorry to have wasted our time.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.