tbjmobile@gmail.com is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

I can get average etc. to show on TOTALS row but not SUM.

Hi All, driving me crazy. I have a query based on a table where I want to show totals in the datasheet view, based on a range of dates. I've done it before but on a newer version of the database, I can get average, maximum etc. to work, but not Sum. I've looked back at the previous version which still works properly and I can't see a difference.
    The query has text boxes to ask for the date start/end range, there are records in that range and it finds them. The column that I want totalled is called 'Facttotal' so no naming problems, and the data type is Euro.
    As last year's version works and this year's is a copy but without the old data, just the new, I can't figure out what is wrong.
    Thanks for any help.

I have to start a new table evry year for local tax authority reasons.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What has tax authority to do with how you store data? Why not just 1 table and filter records by year?

No idea why Sum not available. Would have to analyze db.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I did that so that members wouldn't tell me to only have one table. I'll have to spend some time including only the necessary data to zip.
    Thanks for your reply.

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't understand first sentence in that answer. A member (me) has told you to have only one table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can get average, maximum etc. to work, but not Sum.
    What do you mean when you say you can't get sum to work? Are you getting an error message, or are you getting erroneous results or none at all? Are you able to put the required Sum(Facttotal) expression into the query without error?

Answers to these will give us a better idea as to where the problem might be.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hello John, sorry for the delay in replying, I have work. I'm sorry about the 'doesn't work', I do know better !
    Your question about the query got me thinking so I added a group by and the query now works. It is a while since I've used Access and I was under the (wrong) impression that totals could be added to a query just as onto a table. So many thanks for that, much appreciated.
    Trevor.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by tbjmobile@gmail.com View Post
    I was under the (wrong) impression that totals could be added to a query just as onto a table.
    You were correct in the first place. The totals row can be used in tables, queries and in datasheet forms
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I was under the (wrong) impression that totals could be added to a query
    I think you are under the wrong impression about being under the wrong impression.
    Totals can be added to a select query...
    Click Totals on ribbon and choose an aggregate function from the resulting drop down in the totals row.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    Build a report based on raw data. Use report Sorting & Grouping features with aggregate calcs in textboxes. This will allow display of raw data as well summary calcs.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thank you all for your help. What happened was, I added a Totals line with the total button from the ribbon, to the select query. Then saved it and ran it. Then when I chose the Sum from the drop down total box for the columns I wanted totalled, the datasheet view produced what I wanted and the totals are calculated accurately.
    Again, thanks for the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.