yeskitty is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Subform referencing parent form value for query results

Hi there

I've been going around in circles trying to get my logic correct with this problem with no success . Please help me collective mind!

This is for an inherited 'database' (aka flat table) which I am trying to quickly make usable before starting fresh.

It is an events database where I want the user to start entering the details of a new event on the main form and after entering the Start Date for the subform to Requery with any other events on at the same time.

I am trying to structure the main form as a method of entering/viewing the full event details and the subform to show other events which are registered on the same day.

An example of the data structure is
    Start Date End Date
    1/10/19
    2/10/19 5/10/19
    4/10/19
    4/10/19 6/10/19

When the user enters a new event on 04/10/19, I want the subform to update and show 3 dates already registered on the same day. I've tried a range of criteria on the subform data source but the closest result which I have been able to achieve is for all other events which start on the date - this means the long ongoing events are being omitted from the results.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why doesn't every record have an EndDate value?

You want all records where the entered dated falls on StartDate or is BETWEEN StartDate and EndDate?

Possibly apply filter criteria like: [StartDate] = Forms!formname![textboxname] OR Forms!formname![textboxname] BETWEEN [StartDate] AND EndDate
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Maybe you can add an example database here!

For me is not clear, what you really have, and what you want to do.

Code:
    It is an events database where I want the user to start entering the details of a new event on the main form...
    Your main form is events form? And all those events have some dates?

And you have some subform in events form. But on which data is this subform based, and what it does?

Code:
    When the user enters a new event on 04/10/19, I want the subform to update and show 3 dates already registered on the same day.
    Deeper into forest there is more trees! Does this subform also display same events, or what?

yeskitty is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Why doesn't every record have an EndDate value?

You want all records where the entered dated falls on StartDate or is BETWEEN StartDate and EndDate?

Possibly apply filter criteria like: [StartDate] = Forms!formname![textboxname] OR Forms!formname![textboxname] BETWEEN [StartDate] AND EndDate

That worked perfectly! Thank you! I was using an AND instead of an OR which has made all of the difference.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.