jonat12 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Copy/Paste a line item inside of a Subform not working Properly

Hello,

The company I work for has used an access form for years to create BOM's for all of our design projects. Up until recently, we have always been able to copy/paste line items inside of a subform without any issues. Now, however, when we copy/paste a line item, sometimes it leaves one field blank. I've attached a snipit illustrating what I mean by this.

Just to give some background, we have a large parts table that has every part that that we have ever used, and where it was used. This form allows us to insert all of our needed parts into the subform and create a bill of materials for a section. Each unique part number has a category, part description, and part quantity associated with it. So, the issue that we are having is that the description associated with a part number is not being transferred to the new line when it is being copied.

It is very strange because there was no apparent changes made to the form, and now it doesn't work properly. We have about 15 users that use this form at any given time and everyone seems to get different results when copying/pasting. For some users, they don't have any issues and the description always pastes properly. A couple of users always get a blank description when pasting line items. But most users seem to get a blank description about 50% of the time, with no rhyme or reason as to why this happens.

When copy/pasting, I highlight the entire line, hit Ctrl C, highlight the blank line at the bottom of the form, and hit Ctrl V.

We use Access 2016, and a Windows 7 64 bit operating system.

Any advice would be much appreciated. And just fyi, I have very little access experience and am not the creator of this database, I'm just the one tasked with trying to fix it.

Thanks in Advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails snipit.PNG  

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    why are the copy/paste the same part when they could just change the Qty?
    why is PartDescription there? it should be a lookup via query. Only the Part# is needed (in the record).

jonat12 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    The snapshot above was just a quick example. We copy/paste parts from one section to another, and from one job to another. Sometimes we copy/paste an enitre parts list of up too 100 parts from one job to another.

Every unique part number has a unique part description related to it, and this is stored in a parts table. why doesn't the new line item update and show the part description associated with the part number?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.