bcz is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Can I put query results into one column of my report?

I am an Access newbie, although I have very basic familiarity with databases (have written simple SQL queries in the past). I have MS Office Pro Plus 2019 (registration only goes to 2016!).

I have a personal reading spreadsheet with multiple sheets serving different purposes. The problem is when I read or buy a new book, I have to enter the same info into these multiple sheets. I'd like to switch to Access to ease data entry, and then use Access to reproduce something close to the Excel sheets I am used to. So before I take the plunge, I want make sure that I will be able to create the proper reports out of Access. Searching the Internet I can't get past first intro info, so I am reaching out to this forum.

Here is my main concern. I want to create a DB report where the results of a query appear in one column of the report. I figure I would have tables for Authors, Series, and Books. So rows of my report would have Author.name, Author.genre, Author.awards, etc. But also one column would contain a filtered list of books by the author, with for example each list entry having "<Book.title> (<Book.pubDate>, <Series.code>#<Series.number>, <Book.format>)" where you can see DB values interspersed with literals. So a specific example of a list might be "The English Girl ('13, GA#13, hb), The English Spy ('15, GA#15, pb), The Fallen Angel ('12, GA#12, hb), The Heist ('14, GA#14, hb), House of Spies ('17, GA#17, pb)". This all needs to appear in one column of the report. (BTW, in this list it is just coincidence that the pubDates match the series numbers.)

So, as I say, my purpose for this question is to make sure I will be able to do this if I switch to Access. I'd be willing to learn VBA if that is necessary. Will I be able to do this?
    Thanks.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Yes.

Virtually anything can be done with enough code, however, probably won't need VBA for this. Concatenating fields can be done with an expression in query or textbox.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

bcz is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks, June7. Now I just have to figure out how to get all my existing data as described earlier in my spreadsheet into Access!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.